Chapter 23: Unholy Offspring

Whiplash listened keenly, pinpointing every move Kiara made. Just because she couldn't come along, doesn't mean she can't watch over her, or rather, listen over her.

Kiara had travelled quite far and Whiplash was straining her ears against all the other sounds of the forest. She heard a thump near Kiara and tensed, but realised that it was a planned distraction when she heard the hunter yelp as Kiara slammed him against the ground. Then there was silence.

But not for long. A low growl sounded a fair distance from Kiara. Then there were rapid footsteps rushing through the forest, straight for her. This was a dragon, for sure, but one Whiplash had never come across before, and from experience, she knew anything new cannot be good news.

"Kiara!" she tried to warn her, "get out of there! Something's heading straight for you!"

Their mind-link wasn't as effective at long distances so Whip received a faint, partially inaudible reply: "What...can't... now... occupied."

As the thundering footsteps continued, Whiplash couldn't help but fidget with a mixture of fear and the urge to protect. Then she sprung forward. She was Kiara's 'back up' after all.

-

Kiara stared into the Viking's eyes, wondering why he hadn't said or done anything, he wasn't even resisting her grip, though he was clearly stronger. But mainly she was wondering what she should say. Should she threaten him? No, the knife was threat enough. Should she ask 'who are you?' But she already knew the answer, sort of. She decided on interrogating him about why he's on her island.

But before she could say anything, the Viking cleared his throat. "Er.. can you remove that knife from my throat," his voice came out a little higher than Kiara had anticipated, exposing his nervousness, "I prefer it not slit."

Kiara kept the knife trained on his skin and silently narrowed her eyes at him. He gulped, then his face became serious, showing that he wasn't joking around anymore.

"Listen," he spoke in a clear composed voice, "I'm not gonna hurt you... I'm a friend."

Kiara scoffed at this. "Oh please," she sneered, "an enemy of dragons is no friend of mine."

A glimpse of confusion passed across his face before his eyes widened in realisation. "What? Oh! No, I'm not a—"

A fierce roar shook the trees, cutting him off.

"Um... Whiplash...?" Kiara mumbled uncertainly as she raised her head.

A vicious black dragon burst through the trees. His slit green eyes locked on Kiara with the promise of vengeance. He immediately lurched for her.

"AAAH! Not Whiplash!" Kiara shrieked, rolling off the boy as the dragon chomped at her, missing by a hair's breadth.

"Toothless! NO!" Kiara heard the guy yell as she hastily scrambled to her feet and darted away, her heart pounding and the black dragon hot on her trail like a cursed shadow.

Out of nowhere, a purple wing encased Kiara as her dragon charged into the black dragon, knocking him back.

"YES Whiplash!"

Whiplash roared with enough fury to crumble mountains and slashed her razor tail at him. But the dragon was lightning-quick and dodged the blade. He countered with a purple blast from his mouth. BAM! She was struck in the face. She reeled back, her eyes stinging from the blow, then growled at her attacker and unclamped her jaw.

Kiara's eyes widened, knowing what's to come. Her mind-link strong, she could feel the powerful emotions of anger hate and distress coursing through her dragon along with a rush of heat, and she knew that if Whiplash used here fire in that state, it would not only burn down the forest but roast mystery boy alive.