Chapter 8 - Bad Memories

~David's POV

Waking up early I went to the kitchen and made myself some breakfast. Mary went out with her friends. I made some Cornflakes and relaxed in my couch and checked what was on TV, nothing much just America's Got Talent and other boring shows. Suddenly my mind flashed back to the time when I was 15, my father was a drunk and drank a lot of beer during the night and he abused my mom a lot after she came home from work. He would throw things at my mom and would hit her physically with his fists. This time it was different he was clearly drunk from the way he was walking in the room.

"Where's your mother?"

"She's at the back."

"Marge where are you!!" he shouted

"I'm here" she said in a still voice

"Why you lying to me? Huh"

"I'm not lying" she shouted back

"You need to watch your tone"

"I'm sorry"

"I don't care whether you're sorry; you need to watch who you speaking to"

"You know what Cohen I'm tired of this nonsense you treat me like I'm worthless"

"I can treat you however I want"

"Don't you dare"

"Ha-ha I don't care"

My father grabbed my mother by the arm and punched her square in her face. She fell to ground from the punch and wanted to get up but he punched her in the stomach. She was lying there, just lying there. My dad took out a gun I don't know from where he got it. And was holding the gun, when my mother started moving, she got up trying to stand up but she couldn't because she was dizzy from the bruises he gave her. He punched her again in her face and pointed the gun at her. There were tears in her eyes.

"Cohen...please...don't...do...this"

"I can do whatever I like"

Then he shot her in the head two times. She had that emptiness in her eyes and then she fell to the ground. Just like that I lost my mother. I called the police earlier because I knew he was going to hurt her and I had to do something but the police arrived late because my mother was dead. They arrested my dad and they took me with them to the police station. The big guy with the badge that said chief officer told me that he wanted to call my relatives. I didn't have any numbers so I told I didn't have any but I remembered that number that I found in my mom's diary that had a lady's name on it. I told him the number and he phoned the lady. He told me that my grandma was going to take me to her house.

I waited and a lady around the age of 50 a bit of grey hair and wrinkles on her face but besides that she looked so young. She came walking towards me.

"Hello David"

"Hello?"

"It's me Macbeth your granny but you can call me Gran Mac. I heard about what happened and I'm so sorry child. We should get you home I'm sure you're tired come"

"Hello Mrs. Smith"

"Oh hello Officer"

"Chief Officer Renick Senior"

"Don't worry Chief he'll be safe with me"

"Ok. Thanks"

"I can't believe Cohen would do such a thing"

"Maam this world is changing, more and more crimes will be committed as the years continue"

"I understand. Thank you Chief for making sure David is taken care of. We'll be on our way"

"Ok thank you again"

"Ok bye. I will keep you updated on what's happening"

-----------------------------------------\/------------------------------------------

Driving past BridgeWay to Dunk Town. My parents always told me that BridgeWay was dangerous but Dunk Town was like paradise. There were lots of children playing outside and there were lots of theme parks, where children and their parents can enjoy their times together. This place was the best I made millions of friends and enjoyed going to the theme park with my mom and dad before my dad lost his job and became depressed.

We drove past Dunk Town towards Farm Village. We turned first left into Mew Street and we stopped by an old house with a playground and no swimming pool.

"Now that you're here you're going to have lots of fun"

Been living at Grans for a month now and it's been fun going to the theme parks in Dunk Town and learning how to fish by the nearby dam. Life couldn't get any better.

We came back from the cinema because we were watching movies and I went straight to my room as I was exhausted. Jumped on my bed and slept for I don't know how long. I woke up suddenly from a bad nightmare of my dad shooting my mom twice in the head. I went downstairs to get a sleeping pill from the fridge. But before I went in I heard my gran and granddad arguing.

"He's going to take David back"

"No he won't I'll make sure that he doesn't"

"But now that he's been released he can take David back"

"Then we will have to give David back to him Beth"

"But he's going to hurt David"

"Don't worry we'll phone every single day to find out how David is"

"I hope David's going to be okay"

"Don't worry Mac he'll be fine"

Who were they talking about? Could it be my dad? Could he be back? No it can't be? And if he is back then I'm going to go I can't let Cohen take me I just can't. So I decided to pack my things and go. I don't know where but somewhere far away from my dad.

Immediately the bad memories faded from me and reality hit me. My dad treated me and my mom badly but he was willing to ask for forgiveness even though he knew that I would say no. Maybe just, maybe my dad really cared and wanted a new life.

I made a call to the police station. I needed to find something out.