Chapter 6: Nameless

(adj.) having no name or no known name.
-

Very recent past...

"Hello. I am Dr. Evans. I will be the physician taking care of you today," he said while reaching out to shake the women's hand. "What seems to be the problem Ms. Kelly?"

"Hi Dr. Evans. I'm having trouble breathing, I'm dizzy and I'm running a fever." The woman replied.

Joel's eyes softened when seeing the woman's look so familiar. "How long have you been feeling this way?"

"Uh, I'd say for about a week now. I felt so bad last night that I came into the ER. I wish I hadn't because I have horrible insurance. My premiums are high and hardly anything is covered."

"I'm sorry to hear that," was all that Joel said. His mind lost in the woman's familiarity.

"Anyway, is there anything you can do for me? I don't seem to be getting any better." The young woman noticing the man looking at her in a peculiar way.

Joel cleared his throat. "Well, I'll have to check you out to be able to make a diagnosis. Let me listen to you breathe."

Joel took the stethoscope from around his neck and placed it on the woman's chest.

"Alright big breaths."

She did as she was told. Repeating this step over and over as he moved the stethoscope to different parts of her upper body.

Joel's brow furrowed at the unusual breathing patterns.

"Oh." He said out loud.

The woman's gaze darted over to Joel with a terrified expression. Stethoscope still pressed against the woman, he knew he gave her a mini heart attack.

"Oh?"

"This doesn't sound good. It is probably pneumonia. This is pretty serious. You are going to have to check in to the hospital tonight so we can observe you. Ms. Kelly, the nurse practitioner, is going to take care of you."

The women let out a deep sign.
"I thought it was serious. Honestly it has been a while now that I haven't felt so good."

Joel continued, "Do you get a regular checkup each year? You may have had this for months now."

"No. I never go to the doctor. With this bad insurance I try not to come in. The last time I saw a doctor was two years ago when I sprained my ankle. I wasn't even going to come in then, but it was so swollen that my boyfriend made me go."

"Well, I understand that medical care can be expensive nowadays. Be that as it may, when you are suffering from any kind of ailment, especially one this severe, it is worth the money." Joel reasoned.

"Easy for you to say being a doctor who makes a lot of money."

Joel chuckled a little at that.
"Ok. Well, that's just something to think about. Just wait here and the nurse practitioner will be in shortly.

"OK. Thanks Dr. Evans."

After work... (same day)

Finally at home from a long day of work, Joel was finally able to relax.

After a quick shower, he changed into a white t-shirt and grey sweats and laied in his bed. Reaching over to his nightstand, he grabbed his phone.

Jaw clenching when he saw that he had missed a call from you a few hours ago. Feeling the sudden urge to call you back, he stopped himself when seeing that it was 12:31 a.m. he knew you were sound asleep. He thought about calling you a couple of times before, but assumed you'd be busy with orchestra and or the cafe. Joel thought about visiting you at the shop too, but his schedule never worked out in his favor.