Chapter Two

The old hallways echoed as Miss. Rose walked quickly. Escaping the smell of old architecture was the only thing on her mind. Opening the large metal door wind hit her face harshly making it hard for her to see as she walked out. Moving to the corner where the wind wasn't as bad She looked around at the earth slowly being covered with a white blanket. It was getting dark out but the outside lights reflected well enough to where you could look out and see the crystals raining from the sky. Its sort of depressing knowing the snow was only born to melt. Clenching her jaw because of the cold the woman pulled out a cigarette and a lighter. Watching the flame, Miss. Rose felt her insides get warm. Leaning back against the wall smoke rose up meeting the cold air. The way she felt when she smoked was euphoric It was calming even though she could feel her lungs retract a little more. The consequences of putting nicotine into her lungs was starting to catch up with her but se didn't feel a need to save them from her misery.

"Ava!"

Jumping out of her peaceful state Miss. Rose looked at the headmistress giving her an unamused look. With her eyebrows raised very high the old woman turned toward the girl next to her, "This will be your dorm advisor....Miss. Rose."

Smiling with teeth whiter than the snow a hand reached out to the teacher. "Very nice to meet you."

Hesitating for a minute she shook her hand and smiled back trying not to stutter her words, "Pleasure is mine..." Holding her hand securely the woman swallowed harshly even though her throat held little moisture.

"Harper," She whispered as she let go of the woman's hand and shoved them into her simple hooded red shirt. "Harper Moore."

Miss. Rose tilted her head to the side and smiled, even though the storm seemed bitter and cruel the snowflakes seemed to fall and catch on her dark brown hair so elegantly, Because of the cold her nose was slowly getting a shade of red which just made her seem even more real.

"Would you mind showing Harper around? I need to tend to the front door. Everyone has something to complain about on day's like these."

"Not not at all."

Smiling the headmistress patted Harpers back, "We are very happy to have you with us." Miss. Rose watched her walk away and then turned slowly back to the younger girl. Her eyes looked back and Ava froze in place staring at eyes clearer than ice. She broke eye contact quickly though and looked up at the sky.

"Trying to stay warm are you?"

Confused she noticed the girl staring at her hand that held the cigarette, "well yes I suppose." Shaking off the black remains Ava replayed the girl's accent in her head. She had heard it often in movies, but in real life her American accent seemed just as cheerful. "Let's go inside shall we?"

"We shall!" Harper mimicked walking inside first.

Ava Rose studied her laugh and compared it to a genuine child opening a Christmas present. Light enough to brighten anyone's day.

When the door closed silence filled the hallway making Harper clear her throat to break the ice, "I think I have you in a class. For writing I believe."

"Yes, I believe you do." Miss. Rose turned down a hallway and looked at the girl, "Do you like writing?"

"Of course! What's not to like? I'm no professional but I respect the art. I keep a journal if that counts."

"I think it does." Stopping Miss. Rose pointed down the hallway, "This is mainly where you will be. The bathrooms are at the end and my room is right here. Can I see your paper?" Nodding Harper handed her the sheet and leaned on the wall observing the brick pattern beside her.

Clearing her throat Ava read it quietly, "Well your room is right next to my'n." Looking up from the sheet and down the hall she wondered why they had placed a student next to her and not near the rest of the usual student rooms. Laughing nervously she got out her keys and opened the door. "I hope we get along because we're neighbors."

"I don't see any reasons why we wouldn't get along." Walking in she put her bags on the small bed. Ava didn't even notice Harper carrying all that stuff. "I get my own room?"

"I think so, they are doing repairs to the others and I don't believe there was any room in the ones that are done." Miss. Rose guessed. "So this small little place will have to do. Is that alright?"

"Of course!" Harper smiled and took of her coat. Watching her teacher turn away quickly Miss.Rose rushed to the door. "Is the tour over?" Harper asked confused. The older woman looked up and down at her slowly before blowing her Raven colored hair out of her face.

"Yes- goodnight." Slamming the door Miss. Rose left the young girl standing in the room alone.

Harper raised her eyebrows and puckered her lips trying to figure out what she did to cause such an odd interaction. Her new teacher seemed eager to leave even though she wasn't doing anything important when she met. Shaking her thoughts away Harper went to her worn down suitcase and opened it slowly. The room although old was roomier than anything else she has had before which made her worried that it would look empty when she was through putting all her stuff away. A small bed pushed in the corner was already made so she set her neatly folded clothes down on top of it to get a feel of what she had. She was not ready for how intense the cold was here. Turning she observed the other wall that was home to a small desk with floating shelves above and a wooden chair that was pushed in neatly. to the left a mini fridge sat humming softly. Walking over to her closet Harper looked at the metal hangers and the empty shelve before closing the door and smiling. She was excited to make something her own no matter how old or simple it was. She was just truly excited to be at a school where she could learn about the things that she loves.

Hearing a knock on the door she cautiously opened it to see two girls around her age standing their with their arms folded behind them.

"We heard there was a new face." Abigail greeted giving a tight smile, "We just wanted to welcome you ourselves." Holding out her hand she waited for Harper to reciprocate, "I'm Abigail and this is Fiona."

"Thank you for the welcome." Harper replied nodding her head, "Have you been here for a while? Do you have any tips for the new bait?"

"One tip." Abigail answered coldly avoiding the first question, "Stay in your own lane and keep your head down. It's a competitive world here and only the best will win."

"Are you wearing contacts?" Fiona chimed in.

Looking between the two girls Harper tried to think of what to say, "T-thank you for your advice and Yes, clear ones,"

Smiling Fiona nodded, "Well it was nice to meet you!"

Harper waved goodbye to them as she watched the two girls walk away with their steps in sync. With wide eyes the girl tried to figure out what made everyone so weird. There must be something in the water Harper thought to herself closing the door slowly. She should probably make sure to only drink bottled for a while.