Chapter Eight

Ava looked at the mirror eyeing herself up and down. her thoughts went blank as she watched her hands slide down her coat to make sure all the wrinkles were wiped away. seeing something in the corner of her eye she turned around and grabbed a blanket that was neatly folded on her white love seat. She grinned slightly thinking about Harper leaving it in the grass and put it back on the chair. Her eyes were the only thing she could think about. The way they looked at her with such innocence. She shivered and moved her face towards the mirror to apply more lipstick. 

What was it about this girl? Was it because she was playing hard to get?

Smacking her lips Ava tousled her hair and went out the door. She remembered the day abigail came to school. Ms. Rose made her stay after class and scooted her chair up close to hers. She whispered seductivily, "Do you like it here Abigail? Do you like it here with me?"

Abigail didn't scoot away.

Abigail moved closer.

Ms. Rose blew her cigarettes smoke in her face and grinned cruelly. She had her under her spell. Abigail began to think she was the "Special One." Just like all the girls thought. 

Students smiled at their teacher as they passed by in the hallway, "Good Evening Ms. Rose!"

"Good evening girls," She replied winking. She turned her head slightly watching them walk away giggling to themselves. Continuing on her way Ava reached in her pocket fumbling around to make sure her pack of cigarettes and lighter were in their place.

What was it in Harper's little world that made her resist? Of course she wasn't magic but she was...Ava furrowed her eyebrows and stopped before opening the door. Her thoughts were becoming to much again. She took a deep breath closing her eyes resting her head on the cold metal frame. The demons inside of her wanted out, they wanted to play. Maybe she was evil and malicious but it was Harper who was bringing them out of her, they swept through her brain and made her heart play tricks on herself. Some people can take the things that make them weak and push them aside so they will do harm, but why? Everyone has Demons, but Ava Rose choose to feed hers. 

Straightening her body she opened the doors to see Harper setting up some lights. They pointed at the sky so every snowflake that lingered down their path was shown. Usually she would admire the beauty of falling ice but Harper caught her eyes as she ran over smiling. Her body shook but she didn't notice. "Ms. Rose you look amazing! You will make this shot so perfect!"

She wanted to say something enticing but her worry showed on her face instead, "How long have you been out here Harper?"

She wiped her runny nose thinking, "Since I last saw you I suppose."

"Oh darling.." Ava took her coat off and wrapped it around the girls body despite her trying to refuse. "You will hurt yourself out here if you do that!" 

Harper put her face half way in the warm fabric and stared up at the taller woman. "I'm sorry to upset you, but I really need your help on this Ava." 

Closing her eyes she thought about her words. No one has ever said anything like that before. She didn't care if she had upset her... that was the last thing on her mind, but maybe she did care? She tried to make up for it by calling her by her first name. "Harper...I will help you but after we are getting some hot chocolate and sitting by the Fireplace." 

"No thank you."

Ms. Rose narrowed her eyes and looked at Harper directly in her eyes, "excuse me?"

"I said no thank you." Harper stared back unmoved.

Laughing Ava bent down, "Oh darling i'm sorry I just..." She brought her hand up to Harpers face and ran her hand through her hair, "I just worry that's all."