Chapter Ten

Harper watched the soft ripples of the lake and let the wind take her hair in different directions. she breathed in the winters air and crossed her arms trying to warm them. Everything was dead and wet from the ice melting which made it sort of ugly in her opinion. Getting up from the bench she walked down the deck and stopped at the edge. It was a very open body of water. At the other end was boats for students to use during the summer, but now they sat empty riding the waves. It was going to be beautiful to see the trees grow huge and green.

"You look like you gave you a lot on your mind."

Harper turned quickly and smiled seeing Miss. Lamarr. "Not much actually."

The older woman walked out on the deck and stood beside her student looking out at the water, "There's not much people out here."

"That's why it's the perfect time to come." Harper replied stuffing her hands in her pockets, "While everyone else is eating you just bring something out here and relax."

"Are you allowed to do that?"

Harper snickered and looked over at her teacher, "I could ask the same for you."

Heidi raised her eyebrows in agreement, but said nothing. They stood together in silence for a few more seconds before the young girl cleared her throat and turned toward her. "I've looked at your portfolio."

"What did you think?" Mrs. Lamar asked looking the girl in the eyes. She didn't want to but she couldn't help it. The girls face was irresistible, skin like a porcelain doll and eyes shinier than blue glossed artwork. She had never seen anything more beautiful. Her best photographs didn't even compare.

"I can tell a lot about you from looking at them." She finally said softly.

"You know nothing about me." Heidi replied clenching her jaws.

"That is true." Harper slowly sat down on the end of the dock to let her legs swing barely missing the ice cold water. She looked up at the womans figure, memorizing it. "I'll tell you what I think I know about you, and then you can tell me if I'm right."

"That sounds fair." She replied copying her student and sitting down.

Crossing her legs Harper tapped her lips like she was thinking. A gush of wind pushed against them making brown and blonde hair fly in the wind side by side. Using that chance the young girl looked over and admired her new teachers face. It was soft and sweet nothing harsh about it all, which made her smile. "Do you have your comprehensive review on me?"

Looking away Harper nodded knowing she was caught staring, "All of your photographs feature one object or person in the middle. You focus on the detail of them and have one solid background usually. If there is anything else you blur it and make the details of your subject sharper."

"And what does that tell you about me?"

"you're classy and slightly boring."

Turning her head sharply Heidi laughed and covered her face.

"Am I wrong?" Harper asked awkwardly.

She shook her head and leaned back on the palm of her hands. "I mean it was vague, but i'll take it." They smiled at each other and Heidi continued, "I mean I would rather work than party so I guess it isn't very far off." Harper didn't respond. Instead she let her eyes scan the lake. "Mrs. Hue said that you stay after class almost every day to help out. That's really nice of you."

Squinting her eyes Harper watched the sun come out then quickly hide behind more clouds. "It's sad I'm considered nice for helping out an older lady."