Chapter Twelve

Twisting her head around in circles trying to pop her neck Miss. Lamarr sat up straight and started checking off students. They waited patiently as Mrs. Hue slid off of her stool slowly grasping the desk to hold her steady. "Today we will be discussing shutter speed and why it's important." She licked her shaky finger and counted the papers before holding them out. "Harper can you pass these out dear." Looking around the room the frail woman turned to her assistant who had a questioning face. "Is she sick today?"

Miss. Lamarr shook her head and headed for the phone, "I saw her in the auditorium." Dialing the front office she twirled the cord around her fingers listening carefully to the ring, "Hello...Yes."

Mrs. Hue handed the stack of papers to a girl in the front and asked quietly for her to pass them out.

"...ok well if she shows up late we will call." Putting the phone back into it's place Miss. Lamar went and sat back into her chair to finish role call. She had already memorized names and faces so she could check it with ease. Pushing it to the side she tucked her blonde hair behind her ear and listened to the old woman talk about things she had learned countless times. Taking out finished test she started grading them with her red ink pen. It was supposed to be one of the easier ones but some students seemed to have troubles remembering the mechanics of a DSLR. Taking out Harper's test she grazed it with her eye's and smiled. She could basically see the way she thought by the way she completed her tests. It starts out with all her answers being circled with almost perfect rings and then they turn to circles with a stick figure body. Doodles begin to appear all over the pages and by the end of the test she has run out of time. Her correct answers highlighted through quickly to make up for what she lost. Running her tongue over her teeth she marked A+ and colored in a few of her doodles.

"Don't you think Heidi?"

Shaking her head back into reality she looked over at Mrs. Hue who sat at her desk smiling. Her wrinkles shaped her face gracefully. The most noticeable were her laugh lines that radiated her personality, "What was the question?"

Chuckling she repeated slower, "I said: Harper might be outside taking pictures of the snow."

Hearing the heater kick on she agreed, " That sounds like her."

Taking a sip of her coffee Mrs. Hue cleared her throat and coughed, "You're not much of a talker are you?" Turning her mug straight Heidi examined the worn out colors that decorated the sides. "I always admired the ones who could talk with their work. You certainly do that well."

"Harper says I'm boring."

Laughing out loud some students looked up from their worksheets to see Mrs. Hue covering her mouth. "Sorry." Cackling to herself a few more seconds she held her chest and took another sip of her warm beverage. "Have you seen Harpers work? She likes bright prime colors." Pulling out a file she placed it on the desk beside her and Heidi took it carefully. "Actually I think both of your styles would work really well together. You have the black and white and she has the pop of highly saturated colors." She paused to look around the room. "Almost like a comic book."

Heidi flipped through the photographs carefully studying them. "She has a good eye." Putting the file down she sighed hearing the bell ring. As the students filed out she grabbed the stack of books on the floor. "I think i'm going to take these back to the library before the next class gets in."

Nodding Mrs. Hue put her glasses on and watched her leave the room, "young blonde girls have too much on their mind."

Pushing through the crowd Heidi turned into an empty hallway and caught her breath for a second before continuing. Walking with all those girls was like walking by a locker room with horny boys that watch romance movies. Looking out the huge windows she admired the snow that fell deliquitly from the sky. Glancing at the ground she noticed a shoe sticking out of the Icy powder. She opened the door slowly squinting her eyes trying to make out the colors she saw.

Her eyes widened with fear as the books fell to the ground. Sprinting to the body she started shoveling snow away making her hands feel needles of pain because of the cold. She looked at the body trying to scream for help but nothing could come out.

Harpers eyes were glued shut, her lips a dark blue and her face a ghostly white that blended her in with the snow blanket. Reaching her quivery hand down she felt the young girls chilled skin. Bending her head she listening carefully only hearing a faint heart beat. Feeling a boost of adrenaline She shoved her hands under the body and picked her up bridal style. walking over to the door she kicked the glass hard making her toes ache. A janitor ran over opening the door. Saying nothing she rushed through the frame and ran as fast as she could down the schools halls. Kids were still going to class so they stood to the side and watched the curvy woman hold the body close to her. Rapid breathes made Heidi pant as he squeezed her arms tight to make sure she wouldn't leave her grasp. Looking down quickly the same image looked back at her. She could see her viens creepily run through her.

To Heidi Lamar the world froze. Everyone stood where they were as she turned a corner and ran down to where her mind focused on. A large wooden door that had 'Nurse' written in whacky ways and colors came closer and closer until she busted through with little words coming out of her mouth.

The nurses stopped tending to a young girl who had a half way band aid swinging from her fingers small cut. "What in the world?" The head nurse ran over taking a look at Harper's face. "Heizkissen...Heizkissen, JETZT!"

Heidi didn't understand what was going on and her heart beat faster, "What do I do?" She asked practically begging. The second nurse rushed over with an electronic heating blanket and wrapped it around the both of them.

"Hold her tightly against your chest. That's the best warmth she can get. We are going to put an I.V in her arm to give her fluids and she's going to call some paramedics to help out." Opening her eyes and shining a light the younger nurse furrowed her eyebrows. Calling her superior over they looked into the girls bloodshot eyes. Heidi swallowed the knot in her throat and looked away from her face seeing Miss. Rose at the doorway with tears forming in her eyes.

"What the hell did you do?" She mustered out of her gritted teeth.

Ignoring her, Heidi took Harpers face and held her close while the nurses stuck the needle in her lifeless arm. Liquid dripped into her arm and only german words were heard as a few paramedics ran into the room shoving Miss. Rose out of the way. A tear left Heidi as she let her fingertips run through the dark brown hair. "It's ok Darling, I've got you"

 "It's ok Darling, I've got you"

*unedited*