Chapter 10

"Why is it that when one man builds a wall, the next man immediately needs to know what's on the other side?"

― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Lord Grimshaw led Lilly out of the library and towards the other end of the hall, the book still clutched in Lilly's hand. Before they reached the staircase Lord Grimshaw stopped and turned to her.

"Lady Thorpe I must ask you a question and I beseech you to answer truthfully.

"Of course," Lilly swallowed uneasily but turned to face him.

"Did you come up to the second floor at all during the course of last evening?"

"Of course not. Why do you ask?"

"I find your little fainting episode rather strange. Were you feeling at all strange before then?"

"I believe the heat and the wine had gotten to my head, that is all. Why would me going to the second floor have to do with anything?"

"I sometimes burn some herbs in one of the fireplaces because I suffer from occasional bouts of insomnia and it helps me sleep. It was lit last night and I thought perhaps you had come upstairs and, as you are unused to it, it had affected you in a strange way."

"No," Lilly frowned trying to line his story up with what she had seen. "As I've said before I believe it was a mixture of heat and wine. It really isn't a good combination I fear."

"As you say, I am sorry if I caused any offence."

"None I assure you. Thank you," she attempted a smile before starting down the stairs again to join Richard for breakfast.

Soon after with many expressions of gratitude, Lilly and her brother left Rushbrooke End and started the snowy walk back to Cole Hall.

"You're sure you're feeling better?" Richard asked for what must have been the tenth time.

"Yes, quite well as I've told you many times. I assure you I'll be fine, thank you." Lilly replied.

Her mind was still on Lord Grimshaw's story about the sleep inducing herbs. She was thinking that they were not for him but for Charlotte. Perhaps there had been something in the room which Lilly had inhaled while in the closet, causing her to fall unconscious.

Soon they reached Cole Hall and Lilly was set upon by the other members of her family, all wondering how she was, what had happened and so on.

"Would you like some lunch? It should be ready in a few minutes," Isabella fussed over her.

"What's that book?" Alice asked, noting the particular object. "You didn't bring a book last night, did you?"

"No," Lilly tried to edge past the group but Alice snatched the book and opened it, her brow furrowed.

"Lucas Grimshaw," she read aloud. "Is that Lord Grimshaw?"

"It is. Lillian where did you get the book?" Lady Mary asked.

"Lord Grimshaw gave it to me," Lilly mumbled, somewhat unwillingly.

"Really? Why? And it's his copy as well," Isabella looked surprised.

"As a gift, may I have it back now?" Lilly held out her hand and Alice passed the book back, the resemblance of a smirk on her face.

"Come down for lunch will you?" Isabella called after her as Lilly began to climb the stairs. Lilly nodded, not turning around.

She reached the relative safety of her room and sat down the on the bed, opening the book and looking at the front page of the book.

Lucas Grimshaw was written in neat script in the top right hand corner. She turned the page to see an illustration of a woman leaning against a column, a garland of flowers draped across her brow and strings of flowers adorning columns around her.