Chapter 23

"After all, damn it, what does being in love mean if you can't trust a person."

― Evelyn Waugh, Vile Bodies

Later that evening Isabella and Luke helped Lilly up to the bedroom that Isabella and her would be sharing. Luke said his farewell, leaving the two women alone. Lilly was arranged on one bed, her ankle resting on another pillow as she struggled with her dress.

"Let me help you," Isabella moved behind her and with strong fingers unlaced and unbuttoned until Lilly was in nothing but her chemise.

"Luke isn't the cause of my indecision," Lilly said suddenly. "I hope he understands that."

"I'm sure he does," Isabella spoke slowly, brushing out her hair, "but I believe's he's nervous and doesn't know what to expect with love or what it entails. He's excited and shy and anxious because he cares very deeply about you I think."

"But you don't think it's wrong for me to want to hold off on marriage?"

"No, of course not. I think it's rather sensible really, but I do not think it wise to wait for too long you understand."

"No, but for a little while yet."

"Yes, it would be wise."

There was a comfortable silence as Isabella finished brushing her hair and climbed into bed, blowing out the candle so the room was bathed in the dim glow from the fire.

"Isabella," Lilly said after a moment, weighing her words. "You do know about Richard don't you?"

"What about him?" Isabella's voice was not accusatory, merely gently concerned.

"About well, about his preference."

"Oh, that, well of course I know. I'm his wife, but I also know that it is not exclusively men. He has a fondness for the fairer sex as well."

"I am glad to hear, for your sake that is."

"Yes, it is rather fortunate." There was amusement in her voice but it faded when she said: "Fortunate because I love him very much and not because I am supposed to as his wife, but because he is one of the kindest people I've met and one of the best men I know. I can only hope that Lord Grimshaw is half as good as Richard for if he is than you are a lucky girl indeed." Her voice was gentle and Lilly sensed her sister-in-law was on the verge of tears. She felt gratified by the knowledge that her brother was loved so well and she smiled to herself in the gloom.

"I can only hope so as well."

The next day passed much the same, with Alice dropping by after luncheon, chattering happily and casting sly looks at Lord Grimshaw and Lilly. She brought little news and soon left again with the promise to return the following day.

"She's very excited," Lord Grimshaw remarked once she'd left.

"Yes but young girls always are when the thought of romance comes up."

"You speak as if you were an old maid though you are a year her junior, are you not?"

"Something like that, but I believe Nathaniel Lemmings has driven her absolutely mad with adoration."

"I'm sure all the years of piano playing has helped as well, very skilled hands-"

"Has Alice left?" Isabella entered the room as Lilly choked on a laugh.

"Yes, you just missed her." Lord Grimshaw replied, winking at Lilly.

"Oh what a pity," Isabella sounded the opposite of remorseful. "Well I should dash, I assume you two can keep a respectable distance from each while I'm gone, I'll be back within the hour."