Chapter 30

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."

― Leo Buscaglia

Luke stood in front of the large exterior of Bedlam, his heart heavy. From the outside, the hospital looked no more threatening than a large house, though a strong aura of gloom hung around the place.

He took a deep breath and made his way to the great wooden doors, pushing one open with some effort.

Inside he was met with the familiar sight of the gleaming, tiled entrance hall. A desk sat at the opposite end and a slightly bored looking woman with round spectacles looked up when he approached.

"I'm here to see Doctor Morley. It's about my cousin."

"Doctor Morley is extremely busy at the moment, perhaps you could return a little later today."

"I believe he was expecting me this morning." Luke spoke with firm courtesy and the woman looked up at him coldly.

"There was an emergency and Doctor Morley is extremely busy and will remain so for a while. Kindly return at a later time sir.

"Very well," Luke had a feeling Doctor Morley was doing his best to avoid Luke and though he felt a twinge of guilt at the fuss he had caused, he had resolved to carry on grimly until he reached a scenario he was satisfied with.

He emerged from the hospital, blinking in the harsh winter sunlight as he stepped out onto the road, preparing to head back to the train station.

It was an hour long train ride from Bedlam to his hotel in the Strand.. He never minded the long train rides as they offered him an opportunity to think. Today however he wanted nothing to do with his thoughts. He started to read the newspaper, forcing himself to ignore everything but the paper which was mostly society gossip and fashion tips.

The train arrived at King's Cross at a quarter past twelve and he disembarked, wandering mindlessly out of the station and down Euston Road, ignoring the rain which had started to fall heavily, driving people into shops or tearooms.

It was a cold, relentless freezing rain and soon Luke was drenched to his skin but still he walked, thinking about Lilly, Charlotte and the American Miss Adeline Rogers.

He soon found himself in Regent's Park and the rain had turned to hail. It was only when a particularly large piece hit him on the head that he took notice and headed for shelter under a gazebo, shivering and wishing fervently he hadn't walked so long.

Sitting on a bench was a couple that Luke did his best to ignore. He stood by the railing, staring out at the empty park, longing for the weather to clear a little so he could return to his hotel.

"Luke," Luke turned to see David Ovendon sitting on the bench. Next to him was a young pretty red hair girl who's cheeks were flushed with cold. "I thought it was you," he stood, the young woman following suit.

"David, what brings you to London?" Luke asked, taking the hand David offered.

"Celia and I have just been married so we came up here for a few weeks."

"Oh! My congratulations, I didn't know you had wed so soon. Where was my invitation?"

"It was a very small ceremony, only family really," Celia smiled.

"Ah, well, lovely to meet you Lady Ovendon." He smiled courteously.

"Charmed."

"And what about you Luke? Where's the ever so charming Lady Lillian?"