Chapter 13

"The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support the ultimate career. "

― C.S. Lewis

Lilly was met with concern and reproaches when she caught up with her family.

"Where were you? Lilly, you can't just run off like that!" Richard was livid. "Of all the irresponsible things to have done, especially at a time like this!"

"Richard," Lilly tried to reason with him but he held up a hand.

"No! I don't want to hear it now! Come on," he turned around, carrying Arabella in his arms and leading the way to the doctor's house where he knocked firmly, three times.

The doctor was in, fortunately and he set about bandaging Arabella's head.

"The wound is not deep," he informed them. "She should be right as rain by next week." He bustled about while the rest of the family fidgeted nervously.

Finally Arabella came to and was beset upon by questions.

"What happened?"

"Are you all right?"

"Who did this?"

"Are you sure you're all right?"

Richard silenced them all with a cough and spoke gently to his youngest sister.

"Arabella, are you all right?"

"My head hurts, I, I don't really know." There were tears in her eyes and Richard engulfed her in a hug, pressing her little form to his chest.

"What happened? Arabella can you remember anything?" Lilly asked again, desperate for answers.

"I went to the stall to get hot chocolate and then I saw something by the church. I went over,"

"What did you see?" Lilly asked eagerly.

"Enough Lilly! Your sister's been through a lot, give her some space." Isabella put a hand on Lilly's shoulder as if to pull her back but Lilly shook it off.

"It's important, please Isabella."

"Your sister's health is more important, there will be plenty of time for questions later."

"Fine," Lilly stepped back resentfully, watching as the doctor spoke to Isabella and Richard in low tones.

Soon he announced that Arabella could be taken away and said that the wound was not severe. The family thanked him and emerged into the snowy night where the carriage was waiting outside.

The ice rink was emptier than it had been and the hot chocolate stand had closed up. It was colder now, and the snow was falling heavier than before, large wet flakes that covered the ground in a feathery blanket. Lilly was fretful but kept her silence as the family made their way back to the carriage, Richard supporting Arabella.

The carriage took them home and the family sat down for tea, sending Oliver to bed as Isabella made sure Arabella was all right.

Lilly excused herself and went to the library, settling down in a deep chair by the fire. She didn't read though, just sat there, looking at the flames, relishing the familiar smells of the library.

There was something special about being surrounded by books. A kind of peace that came with the knowledge you were surrounded by stories from different places, stories about people that you'd never be and who'd never be you. A library was an escape and all Lilly wanted to do was absorb it.