Chapter 24

"Friendship- my definition- is built on two things. Respect and trust. Both elements have to be there. And it has to be mutual. You can have respect for someone, but if you don't have trust, the friendship will crumble." 

― Stieg Larsson, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

"What's the plan?" Lord Stone asked eagerly.

"Forge a love letter from a made up girl and have Helen 'accidentally' stumble across it. When she finds it and yells at you, as she inevitably shall, protest that you really do love her, just to make it look as if you are at least a little sorry to be rid of her, but she won't listen and they'll be sure to break the betrothal and you'll be free." Lilly explained, remembering how it had played out in the novel.

"And it wouldn't hurt my reputation?" He asked sheepishly.

"Good God man, you want to get rid of the woman, don't you?" Luke cut in incredulously.

"No it won't," Lilly said patiently, casting a glare at Luke.

"Very well than, how shall I accidentally slip it to Helen?" Lord Stone asked, looking between the two of them.

"I imagine it would have to be in a quite straight forward way, Helen isn't the kind of girl to look into her betrothed's private letters." In the novel she had had read the letters had gotten mixed up and the unwitting girl had opened the letter intended for the heroine.

"I'm sure if it looked incriminating enough she wouldn't be able to resist opening it." Luke added. "Perhaps we have it fall out of your pocket next time you're around Helen. She'll pick it up and see something along the lines of 'my darling George' written on it and her jealously and curiosity will kick in and she'll have no choice but to open it."

"Brilliant," Lilly beamed, caught up in the excitement of plotting. "Shall I write the letter, seeing as I have more feminine handwriting?"

"They may recognize it," Luke fretted but Lilly shook her head mischievously, smiling.

"They've seen my writing from my right hand, never my left hand, which is similar though slightly messier and they won't be able to tell."

"You can write with both hands?" Lord Stone asked, looking more curious than pathetic now.

"Oh yes, I taught myself one day when I was bored. Shall we get started?"

"You are a wonder," Luke said appreciatively and stood up to fetch a pen and paper.

"Thank you so much for doing this," Lord Stone said, "I really do appreciate it."

"My pleasure Lord Stone, there is nothing I enjoy more than causing mayhem, especially within the lives of the residents of Cole Hall."

"Here you are," Luke returned, handing her the paper, envelope, pen and a book to write on.

"Thank you," she took the pen with her left hand and started writing, reading it aloud as she did so:

"My darling George,

It was with some regret I read your last letter, though I understand what you've had to go through. As long as we still may see each other I shall be happy. I know how you loathe to marry that silly prig, your last letter put your distaste for her in such an elegant way. But I do feel bad for you, she sounds awful and you'd be much better of with me. I cannot wait to see you tomorrow, it has been much too long since we have seen each other.

I miss and love you

affectionately," she paused, thinking of a name before simply writing a loopy 'K' at the bottom.