Chapter 15

"Curiosity killed the cat," Fesgao remarked, his dark eyes unreadable.

Aly rolled her eyes. Why did everyone say that to her? "People always forget the rest of the saying," she complained. "'And satisfaction brought it back."

― Tamora Pierce, Trickster's Choice

Lord Grimshaw stayed at Cole Hall for a quarter of an hour or so before taking his leave with much relief.

The women at Cole Hall, like most women he had encountered, were overbearing and full of insincere interest and forced merriness, none of which he could stomach.

As he left he caught sight Lilly watching him intently.

"May I help you?" He asked.

"I don't know, you seem hellbent on hindering me, rather than helping me." She stepped out onto the threshold of Cole Hall, the chiffon of her dress doing little to protect her from the harsh wind.

"If there is anything I can help you with I'd be pleased to do so."

"Well would you tell me then what is wrong with your sister and why you keep her so sheltered? I know she didn't perish in that fire so there's no use lying to me. I'd just like to know, my reasons are as innocent as that. Why are you protecting her? And from what?"

"Lady Thorpe, please, this is a very delicate and personal matter. It's really none of your business as I have told you before. It is a very sensitive subject."

"It was your sister," she spoke with a sudden look of enlightenment on her face, "that attacked Arabella that night, wasn't it?"

"She meant no harm by it, it was a mistake."

"A mistake? Dragging off an innocent girl and hitting her?"

"She isn't well, it's not what it seems."

"Show me, if it's not what it seems. I think you owe it to me after what your sister did to my sister."

"This is hardly fair."

"If you don't tell me anything," Lilly interjected, suddenly savage, "I'll tell my family about her."

"Blackmail?" Lord Grimshaw's face tightened.

"I hate to have to revert to blackmail but I must do it if you do not tell me."

"Like I said before, I can't. Please stop asking."

"Would you like to me to tell everyone about Charlotte? You know how fond of gossip Isabella's mother is, I'd hate to see who she'd tell."

"Fine, come to Rushbrooke at five, but come alone."

"Thank you for the gracious invitation, Lord Grimshaw." She smiled brightly and walked away, a slight sway in her gait.

Luke watched her with narrow eyes, annoyance and indignation beating a tattoo in his chest.

He found the stables and mounted his horse, handing a coin to the stable boy before leaving Cole Hall's grounds.

He didn't truly believe the girl would tell anyone about Charlotte but he didn't wish to take any chances. She was a strange one and he didn't know what she was capable of.

He rode around the snowy Hertfordshire countryside for another hour, enjoying the vast silence, alone except for the occasional sheep. He rode past the sleepy village of Digswell, nodding to the vicar and his family who were walking on the outside of town.

The air was crisp and cool, the smell of pine and cold filling his nose. Naked branches were carpeted by snow, making the land look like something off of a Christmas card. His horse delighted in the chance to speed off, far and fast on the narrow path, it's hooves sending snow flying.