Chapter 21

"...and that, in the end, the most interesting people always leave."

― Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

The rest of the evening past uneventfully with no sign of Lord Grimshaw. Lilly scanned the thinning crowd for him as her family left the house and headed towards their coach, but it seemed he'd left earlier in the night.

"Did you have an enjoyable time girls?" Isabella asked, unaware of either of her sister-in-law's feelings.

"It was wonderful," Alice breathed, taking the seat next to Lilly.

"Yes it was nice, wasn't it. Lilly, how did you find it?" Isabella asked.

"It was certainly eventful," Lilly looked out the window as the coach started into motion.

"Oh? What happened?"

"Nothing of interest, how was your evening?"

"Pleasant enough, but I would like to know what happened to you."

"I," Lilly sighed, cursing herself for mentioning anything. "It's really nothing, I was being sarcastic."

"But you did enjoy yourself?"

"It was all right I suppose," Lilly slumped lower in her seat, letting the rest of the family's conversation wash over her in a dull murmur..

They returned to Cole Hall and Lilly went up to her room, grateful to be free of the painful corset and heavy gown. She changed into her nightgown, not bothering to call for the maid and sat on the edge of her bed, pulling the many pins out of her hair and tossing them onto the vanity before lying down with relief.

She wanted to sleep and forget all about the day and the strange, mixed emotions. She was exhausted and confused and would be happy to be able to wipe it all away with a long sleep.

"Lilly?" Lilly was woken up some time later by Alice who was shaking her shoulder.

"Mmm, what time is it?"

"It's half past twelve, you've only been asleep for about twenty minutes."

"What do you want?" Lilly blinked up at her sister who stood above her, holding a candle.

"I want to talk about Nathaniel."

"Really? Is right now the time?"

"Yes, please Lilly, it's important."

"Fine, speak then," Lilly sat up, brushing her hair out of her face with a weary gesture.

"I want to call off my betrothal so that I can wed Nathaniel."

"You've known him for one evening, you can't really be sure he's the one."

"Yes, yes I can. I know how silly it must sound, but you must believe me. I love him, I do, he makes me feel at east and comfortable and everything else I could want in a husband."

"I think you're rushing into this, besides you know Richard would never let you break off the engagement with Thomas."

"What if Thomas' family broke off the engagement with me?"

"They'd never do that, I thought they were fond of you."

"I'll elope with Nathaniel than."

"You can't be serious, eloping with him? Does he have any idea of this plan?"

"We talked about our feelings this evening, he said nobody had ever made him feel this way before and he was very fond of me."

"Well that was bold of him. I'm glad you like him Alice, I really am, but I think perhaps you're not thinking enough about this. Perhaps you should get to know him more? Make sure you're doing the right thing and all."