Chapter 25

"You happened to be born into a privileged family. What you do with that truth is completely up to you. I'm here because I want to be with you. But if I didn't, all the money in the world wouldn't have changed my feelings for you."

― Nicholas Sparks, The Last Song

As it turned out, Richard was not too put off by the idea of Alice breaking off her betrothal to Thomas and seemed rather glad about the whole situation. Alice reported this all gleefully to Lilly and Luke, too excited to even touch her tea or Victoria sandwich.

"Richard met with Nathaniel and seemed very pleased with him, I do think they shall get along wonderfully."

"Was his sister with him?" Lilly asked, sharing a glance with Luke.

"She was not, oh but I am so excited! This has turned into one of the most fortunate holidays our family has seen." She grinned and neither her sister nor Luke had the heart to enquire about Dorothy Lemmings and her strange dislike of the Thorpe family and Nathaniel.

The rest of the week at Rushbrooke End was spent peacefully and when the doctor returned to check on Lilly he announced that her ankle was recovering nicely and she was now allowed to travel in a coach and walk, though she was advised to elevate it as often as possible.

When the end of the week did come Lilly found that she was sad to leave Rushbrooke End and its comfortable yet magnificent interior and as Luke and Isabella helped her out to the carriage that would bring them all back to Cole Hall, she looked back at it and could have sworn she saw a dark face framed by blonde hair staring out at her and she shuddered.s

"Lillian I hope your ankle is better," Lady Mary smiled distantly at Lilly as she came through the doors of Cole Hall, leaning heavily on Luke.

"Much better thank you," Lilly smiled sweetly, holding firmly onto Luke's hand.

"Lord Grimshaw it was very kind of you to let her stay at Rushbrooke, I am sure Lillian has learned her lesson about being more careful on the stairs." Lady Mary glared at Lilly as if Lilly had thrown herself down the stairs on purpose.

"On the contrary, it was my pleasure and it really wasn't her fault, it could have happened to anyone." Luke smiled kindly, the picture of a gentleman despite the arm that was casually draped over Lilly's shoulder, holding her up.

"Would you like to stay for tea? The Lemmings are coming over," Isabella invited.

"If it isn't too much trouble-"

"None at all, it shall be like a little party." Isabella beamed at them and led them to the parlour where the rest of the family, including Arabella and Oliver were seated.

"Lilly you're home already?" Arabella said shyly, blushing in the presence of Lord Grimshaw.

"I am, are you pleased?" Lilly asked as she sat down on an armchair, propping her bandaged ankle up on a small pouf.

"Of course I am."

"Is it true you're coming back to Norfolk with us?" Oliver asked, looking at Luke curiously.

"I am, I hope you don't mind."

"I should say not, we almost never have guests so it'll be jolly refreshing."

"I am glad to hear that."

"The Honourable Nathaniel Lemmings and his sister, the Honourable Dorothy Lemmings," the butler entered and announced.

"Send them in please," Sir Edgar requested and a moment later the Lemmings entered the room.

"Sir Edgar, Lady Mary, thank you ever so much for having us," Nathaniel smiled nervously, his grey eyes finding Alice's.