1. Claimed

"You okay?" The girl who had introduced herself earlier as Piper nudged me. I shrugged and picked at my pizza. I didn't know what to think about Camp Half-Blood. Only days earlier, something had attacked my house. I still don't know what it was. My mom had shoved the keys into my hand with a scrap of paper with an address on it. It had led me here.
     Piper scowled. "Do you ever talk?" I kept my eyes on the worn table in front of me. I heard Piper sigh. "If you're done you can go back to Cabin Eleven." I shrugged again. My left hand strayed to my thigh where my expanding bow was clipped. I had three arrows on my back, under my shirt. They made me feel safer. Piper sighed again.
     The chatter of the dining pavilion was overwhelming. All of this was. Greek Gods. Monsters. Quests. Never being able to have a normal life. I sighed and closed my eyes. These people didn't know the first thing about me. And yet they had accepted me. But for some reason, I couldn't accept them.
     "Thanks," I muttered to Piper as I stood. She said something I didn't hear, but I didn't care. I walked out of the pavilion and down the path toward the cabins.
     I sighed as a cool breeze lifted my black hair. I didn't have any friends, in my normal life or here. And I didn't plan on making any.
     No one was in Cabin Eleven when I got there. I picked my way through the belongings as I made my way to where my stuff was. I grabbed my quiver off of the small mattress. I pulled the three arrows on my back off and replaced them in the quiver. Archery had been the one thing I was always good at.
     I made my way back toward the door. I paused as I felt something. Not something brushing against me or bumping me. No. Something inside. I shook my head. I was imagining. I let the door close behind me as I started toward the trees.
      I pulled the handle of my bow from its place on my thigh as it expanded. The metal arms clicked as they snapped into place. The air hummed as the electric bowstring appeared. I smiled as I experimentally pulled back on it. It was perfect, as always. The smile vanished as I felt something go through my chest. It was stronger this time. And it hurt. I frowned. Nothing like this ever happened before. I took a step forward and fell to my knees as another jolt went through my body.
      But I wasn't in my body anymore. I knew I was looking through someone else's eyes.
     Fear goes through my veins as the glowing red eyes advanced upon me. "We want the boy," the voice was raspy.
      "I– I don't know what you're talking about," I stuttered. A growl reverberated off the surrounding trees. I screamed as the monster jumped on me.
     "Jules! Hey! Julian!" I looked up to find Jason Grace shaking my shoulder. "What's going on? You just started shaking and gasping and then –" A scream cut him off. My heart sank when I recognized the voice.
Jason was too focused on finding the source to stop me. I took off running toward the hill while he was still looking. I heard his footsteps behind me but I knew he wouldn't catch up. I had always been fast.
I saw the crowd in front of me as I ran. A swarm of Greek soldiers pushed their way up the hill toward the noise. I ran to the side and passed about half of them before I heard someone yell my name. "Julian!" Chiron's voice echoed off the trees as dozens of heads turned to look at me. I didn't care.
I made it to the top of the hill before Chiron himself, though I knew he wasn't far behind. I kept running, jumping over fallen logs and ducking tree branches. I spotted the monster before it saw me. I pulled an arrow out and knocked it as I ran. The creature looked up as I jumped and let the arrow fly.
I landed in a cloud of dust. I panted as I looked down at the boy on the ground. His breathing was uneven and ragged. I quickly hit the button on the side of my bow, which shrank it back to the handle. I snapped it back into place on my thigh and kneeled next to him.
      "Julian Glynn." I turned to find the mass of Greeks staring at me.
      "I– I don't know what happened. It just– I had this feeling and I–" I stuttered.
      Chiron turned around to address the crowd. "Everyone back to the Camp. Sarah, Josh. You two take Tyler back. Grace. Stay here." A ripple ran through the crowd as they all cast one more glance toward me, then turned around. Two people came forward and lifted the boy off the ground, staring at me the whole time.
      After they were all gone, Chiron was still staring at me. I shifted uncomfortably. "Look. I didn't mean to–"
      "Shut up, Glynn." Jason shook his head.
      "But I thought I–"
      "Do you know who your godly parent is?" Chiron interrupted me.
      I looked down. "No."
      "Interesting." Chiron crossed his arms. I opened my mouth but then closed it again. It only ever got me in trouble, that's why I didn't talk a lot.
       Jason sighed, frustrated. "That really clarifies it. Thanks a lot Olympus!" He yelled the last part at the sky. I opened my mouth then closed it again. I needed to stop talking.
      "Julian." The softness in Chiron's voice surprised me. "Look up." I paused for a second, confused. Then I glanced up and froze.
      Twelve symbols floated above my head. The Twelve symbols of Olympus. I swallowed. Just when I thought my life couldn't get any worse. Had all twelve gods on Olympus just claimed me?

Above is a picture of Julian! Thanks for reading! 😊