13. Prophecy

The Gods above,
destined to fall.
One to decide,
Six to stall.

A goddess of ice,
The only bait.
The Chosen of the Twelve
Will bring their fate.

The way will be set,
The path will burn.
The child of fire
Shall return.

In his wake
The old shall rise.
The Seven once more
Will take the skies.

The six demigods in the room all looked at me. I shifted under their gazes. How was I suppose to know what it meant?
"Well?" Annabeth glared at me.
"Well what? It could be talking about anyone." I didn't met her gaze.
Percy and Annabeth shared a look. Jason shook his head. "Look Julian–"
"Jules."
Jason sighed. "Jules. Our best guess right now is you."
Piper whispered something to Hazel. Hazel glanced at me before grabbing Frank and pulling him out of the room, despite his protests.
"Jules. Have you had any contact with the gods?" Percy asked me again.
I hesitated. Who did I trust? I wasn't sure. My first instinct was to trust Jason. But some small part of me told me I couldn't. The same part that told me Khione was right, that when I had to choose I would choose her. The demigods in front of me had given me no reason to not trust them. But had the gods? They had given me no answers, only left me with questions.
"Jules!" My focus snapped to Jason. "Answer the question."
I made eye contact with Jason. He knew the answer before I said anything. "Yes."
"Which ones?" Annabeth asked.
I let my eyes wander to the ground. "Neptune."
      Everything was quiet. I hear Percy whisper something and then there was some shuffling noises. When I looked up only Percy and Jason were in the room.
      "What did he tell you?" Percy asked. Jason looked uncomfortable. I got the feeling that he was only here because Percy thought I trusted him.
"That's a good question." I muttered under my breath. I sighed. "You're not going to like it."
      "Try us." Percy crossed his arms and I saw a flash of something in his eyes. Annoyance.
      I felt something flash through my own eyes. Defiance. "He said sorry."
      "For what?" Percy was on edge. He didn't trust me. At all.
      I felt a slow smile spread across my face. "For not being there for me. Like he should have."
      "Are you telling us that–" Percy started.
      "–you're a child of Neptune?" Jason finished.
      I raised my chin. "Yes." Percy was glaring at me. Jason's face didn't give away any of his emotions.
      We stood there for a little while. Percy glaring at me and Jason examining me. I didn't break eye contact with Percy once. I hated to admit it, but he was almost as stubborn as I was.
      "Percy." Jason finally spoke. "A word." He walked toward the door. Percy followed, glaring back at me before leaving. Don't think this is over.
      After they both left I stood in silence. What did the prophecy mean? Was it actually about me? I had an idea about the child of fire. Leo. Leo Valdez. Was he actually still alive? He had to be. Who else could it be about? I didn't like the first part of the prophecy. The Gods above, destined to fall. Was their fate actually already set? Did it matter what I did? Did I even care? I didn't know.
      The door opened and my head snapped up. Standing in the doorway was the last person I expected to be there. I hesitated before I ran over to her and hugged her.
      "Mom."