17. City

The chaos of the camp did little to calm my nerves. I was still processing what my mom had told me. Fake memories? Chosen of the Twelve? I really didn't want any part of this. Above the noise, Khione's voice floated on the wind.
I can change it. You didn't want this. Come with me, and you won't have it. I paused. The few Roman soldiers that were left in this area were running by me without looking back. I heard something about a god in the camp. Great. More attention for me.
I started to jog the way the demigods weren't running. I needed to get out of here. I saw the bridge on the other side of the plain. I didn't look back as I started to sprint toward it. The demigods were all too preoccupied with what was going on in the camp. Not one of them saw me.
      I crossed the bridge and crouched down. A tunnel loomed a little to my right. I looked one more time before running to it. Once inside, I stopped to catch my breath. No one had seen me. I was practically in the clear.
I looked back at Camp Jupiter. A feeling of longing welled inside of me. Why? It was never my home. I pushed the feeling down and turned my back on the camp. I didn't need them. I didn't want them.
I walked through the tunnel. Where did this lead, anyway? I kept walking until I could see the outline of a door. Since when did tunnels end in doors? The Greeks and Romans were so confusing.
      I pushed the door open and stepped into.... a street full of cars? Demigods were much more confusing than I thought.
      "Hey!" I looked to my left and saw a Roman soldier with a spear.
No thanks, I shivered. "Yeah....um....on a mission....can't talk....thanks! Bye!" I bolted down the small sidewalk that led away. I didn't look back as I hurtled over the cement barrier. Cars flew by with their horns blaring as I sprinted across the road.
Once on the other side, I ran through the small area of grass. Must be a park, I realized. I slowed to a walk so I wouldn't draw attention to myself. When I was certain that no one was staring at me, I stopped to look around.
Signs flashed. People bustled from here to there. Cars honked as they tried to get to their destination. A city. The Roman Camp was hidden behind a city?
"I'm losing my mind." I muttered. I stuffed my hands in my pockets and started to walk again. It wouldn't be long before they came after me. I just needed to find her.
I picked my way through the crowd, careful not to bump into anyone. I managed to get to a bus stop without any excitement. I sat in the small bench as I waited. After a few minutes, an old lady sat down next to me.
"Morning young lad!" She smiled as she rested her cane on the front of the bench. "Fine day for a stroll, isn't it?"
"Yes ma'am. Very nice day." I forced myself to smile back.
"I ain't seen you 'round here before. What is a nice young gentleman like you doing down here?" The lady fixed her eyes on me. Her thick glass caught the light as they slid down her nose.
"Just passin' through. My mom's awful sick and I'm tryna get to my aunt's to pick up her medicine." The lies slide easily from between my lips. My heart raced. What was I doing?
The lady smiled at me. "That sure nice of ya. Nothing more important than family. You hear me?" I nodded at the lady as the bus pulled up to the curb. I stood and gesture for the lady to go in front of me. I heard some of her mumbling but couldn't make out what she was saying.
I stepped up onto the bus stairs and froze. I didn't have any money. What was I going to do without money?
"Hey kid! On the bus or off. I don't got all day." The driver impatiently glared at me.
"Oh. I'm sorry. I just need to get..." I made a show of digging through my pockets.
"Oh, jus' get on the bus." The old lady handed the driver some change. I thanked the lady as I moved to sit in an empty row.
"Where you headin' to anyway?" The lady asked as she sat next to me.
"Outta town. My aunt doesn't like the city."
The lady frowned but didn't push any further. I relaxed a little when she finally got off the bus. I didn't want attention. I just wanted to get out of the city.
How hard get getting out of a city be?

My apologies to anyone who lives in California. I've never been to the Caldecott Tunnel and maps aren't really helpful at distinguishing what's what. So if this chapter has wrong info about it, sorry!