Instinct

The two Mars kids forced me to follow Khione as she stalked up the stairs and down the hallways. I could feel something warm on the side of my face and realized that the icicle Khione has hit me with had drawn blood.
"Do you know what we do with traitors, Julian?" Khione's voice echoed off the walls as she entered a large area that looked over a small lake. I stopped walking as I caught sight of who was in the middle of the room.
Pax was on his knees, his head hanging so that his hair fell in front of his face. A small pool of blood was in front of him.
"Well?" Khione turned to face the lake, her back to Pax. The Mars kids pushed me forward then released me. They left the room without a glance back. I kept my mouth shut. I wanted to take a step toward Pax but my instinct told me not to.
"Follow your instinct. That's what will keep you alive."
      Pax's words rung through my head. I kept my eyes focused on Khione. I could heard the faint breath of Pax echoing off the cold walls.
      Khione turned to look at me. A smile spread across her face. "They die, Julian." She close the distance between her and Pax in a few steps. She placed two fingers underneath Pax's chin and raised his face to look at her.
      A long cut ran from his jaw to the tip of his right ear. Blood poured from it, uncontrolled. I noticed that was the only cut visible. Red stains covered his shirt and pants as well. His eyes were hard and unyielding. Anger swirled in my gut as the wind started to pick up. My wind. Khione's turned to face me and our eyes met. I saw Pax cast a warning glance my way.
      "This is anger. You can't let it control you."
      The wind died. Khione smiled, a smug smile. She turned back to face Pax. "Traitors die."
      My instinct flared and told me to do something. So I did.
      Khione's hand stopped before the knife had touched Pax.
      Pax's eyes widened as I flew toward Khione. Literally flew. I hit Khione on the side and we both rolled on the ground. As I stood, I realized I was now between Pax and Khione. I turned enough to meet Pax's eyes.
      "Go."
      Pax stood and stumbled out of the room without question. I turned back to see Khione on her feet. She was still smiling. I narrowed my eyes at her as she took a step toward me. The wind around us started to pick up.
      "I don't think you realized what you've done, Julian. You see, this is much bigger than you. Or me. He is already starting to rise. And you can't stop him." Khione took another step forward and the wind got stronger. "But you can save your sister."
I hesitated. That was all she needed.
I brought my guard up but it was too late. The wind died as I flew backwards from the force of her attack. My head snapped back and hit the wall. Lights danced in my vision as Khione strode forward.
"I'm going to give you a choice, Julian."
      "It's Jules."
      "And you are going to choose Jayde."
I looked her in the eyes before everything went black.
"Her name is Jay."