14. Mom

"Julian." My mom breathed as I buried my head in her shoulder. "Julian look at me."
      I raised my head. Her brown eyes were watering. "Mom. Don't cry." I pushed a piece of hair away from her face. "I'm fine. I promise." I embraced her again.
      "I was looking for you. I went to Camp Half-Blood and Chiron told me–" My mom choked up.
      "Mom." I squeezed her tighter. "I'm fine." She sniffled a little bit as she broke away. "Mom?" I hesitated.
      She looked at me, her arms were wrapped around her skinny frame. "They told me you were denying the gods."
      "What? Come on, mom. Who told you that?" I shook my head and allowed a small grin on my face. Inside my heart raced. They had told her what?!
      "Julian. You need to trust the gods. Please." When I didn't answer her she sighed. "Jules."
"Look mom. I need to figure this out. Olympus won't give me any answers. They've just given me more questions."
"That's what this is about? Who you are?" She laughed.
"I didn't ask for this." I shook my head.
"No one does. You don't choose who your parents are."
"But I can choose who I am."
"In order to know who you are you need to know."
"I need to know what?"
My mother smiled sadly. "Everything." I hesitated. Was she actually going to answer my questions? I had learned not to push her too far when I was younger. That hadn't stopped the burning desire in my heart to know.
"You'll tell me?" My voice was a whisper.
My mom pulled me in for another hug. I could feel her heart beating rapidly beneath her skin. She didn't want to talk about it. I sighed. "It's okay mom. You don't have to tell me."
When she pulled away I saw the tear she wiped away quickly. "No. You need to know." I nodded, not wanting to pressure her. She glanced back at the open door. I didn't realize Percy was there the whole time. My mom nodded at Percy. He glared at me before he shut the door quietly behind him.
My mom sat down on one of the beds. She pulled her knees up to her chest. She looked small and weak. Even though I knew she wasn't, I felt an overwhelming need to protect her.
"Mom. You don't have to–"
"I'll start with your sister."