24. Getting Ready

I slowly opened my eyes as I yawned. I pushed myself into a sitting position and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I realized that not only had I fallen asleep in my clothes, I had slept on the bed the wrong way. My feet were propped up on the pillow and my neck was a little stiff from hanging off the bed.
I shivered as my feet hit the floor. I froze after I realized my feet were bare. I had had my shoes on. I looked down and saw them neatly placed next to my bed.
      Pax. I lifted my eyes to the door. It was slightly ajar, which told me he had been in here. I stood and looked at myself in the mirror. My shirt was crumpled and my hair was sticking out at an odd angle. I shook my head as I padded toward the closet. I stilled as I stepped inside it.
      Every colored T-shirt you could imagine was hung on the right. They were organized by color, which I greatly appreciated. There were a few patterned ones but not too many. On the left, the jackets and hoodies were also organized by color. I noticed at the very back of the closet, a leather jacket hung. It was separated from the rest. Interested, I walked toward it.
      I pulled the leather jacket off the hanger. Underneath, a plain black T-shirt hung. I noticed a pair of black jeans were folded on the floor. Next to them, a quiver of arrows, and next to that, my bow. I quickly hung the jacket back up and grabbed my bow. It felt good to hold it again.
      I gently set the bow on the ground as I selected a blue T-shirt and changed. I grabbed my bow, snapped it into place on my thigh, and headed back out into my room. I walked to the bathroom and quickly located the comb that was set by the sink. I smoothed my hair into place as I heard a knock on my door.
      "Julian?" Pax's voice was a little muffled. I stepped out of the bathroom and locked eyes with Pax, whose head was poked through the door. "Breakfast in ten." He shut the door quietly behind him.
I walked silently over to the dresser and pulled open a drawer. I pulled out a a pair of socks from among all the other clothes. Where my other ones had gone as beside me. I slipped on my shoes and laced them. After I was done, I surveyed my self in the mirror.
      Hollow eyes stared back at me. My black hair was dirty, my green eyes had a red rim about them. My new shirt was the only thing that seemed anywhere near clean. I shook my head. What was wrong with me? I had given up on the Gods, turned my back on the camps, and all but given my allegiance to Khione. Then there was Pax. Where has she found him? What was he doing here?
      My thoughts kept going back to his blue eyes and the way they had locked on my green ones. I shook my head once again. No. I was here so Khione could teach me. That was it.
      I pushed away from the mirror and moved toward the door. I hesitated briefly with my hand on the doorknob. What should I say to him? What if he doesn't talk to me?
      I straightened my spine as I remembered who I was. I was a child of Neptune, Chosen of the Twelve. Why should I be afraid of a blonde hair, blue eyed boy? I took a deep breath as I opened my door and stepped into the living room.