Given

I was pretty sure my mouth was sandpaper. My tongue was rough against the roof of my mouth as I tried to swallow. I gasped as light flooded my vision again. When my eyes had adjusted, I wasn't surprised to see Khione standing in front of me with her back to me. I was surprised to see where we were.
      The wind whipped my hair as I glanced over the side of the mountain. In the distance, I could see the outline of Camp Jupiter. There was a familiar smell about the mountain but I couldn't tell what it was.
      "Mount Tamalpais." Khione's voice rang clear as my heart started to sink.
      No. I thought. I need to get out. I need a way out.
      "Jason led the Romans in battle here against Krios. Such a tragedy we lost. It is also the place where Atlas holds the sky. Percy held the sky here for Artemis. Did you know that, Julian?"
      Yes. I ground my teeth as I turned around. "It's Jules."
      Khione smiled at me. I narrowed my eyes as she turned around. I caught a glimpse of black hair blowing in the wind. Atlas wasn't here. He wasn't holding the sky. Who was?
      The answer settled in my stomach like a rock.
      Jay.
      "Today, you get a similar choice." Khione stepped to the side.
      Jay's head was hanging, her black hair blowing softly in the breeze, scraping the ground. Hr hands were held above her. She was on her knees. A sudden image of Percy in the same position flashed through my head. It wasn't my memory.
      Jason. I tried not to show emotion. Khione was waiting for something, some kind of reaction.
      I closed my eyes. Jason! I didn't know if he could hear me. But it was my last chance. Mount Tamalpais. Hurry.
      "She's going to die, Julian." My eyes snapped back open at Khione's voice. "You'll let that happen?"
      "I just..." I stumbled. "I need a minute." I closed my eyes as Khione smiled.
      Anyone? I thought even as I knew that I was alone. I had pushed all of them away. And not I had no way out.
      I jumped when a voice answered me.
      Pass it on.
     "What?" I didn't realize I had said it out loud. I opened an eye but Khione hadn't seemed to notice.
      The power was given willingly. It can only be relinquished the same way.
      Something clicked into place. A picture of my mom appeared in front of me.
      "They originally wanted to use Jay."
I opened my eyes and looked down on my sister.
My twin.
Her black hair was dirty, her clothes torn and covered in mud and blood. They had wanted Jay.
      They would get Jay.
"What are the conditions?" I was surprised my voice was steady.
Khione glanced between Jay and me. She sighed before answering. "There are none. You hold the sky, Jayde goes free."
"And Olympus' most powerful weapon will be off the playing board."
Khione smiled again. "Yes. I think that Athena's blessing is starting to get through to you."
I closed the distance between Jay and I, my eyes never leaving Jay. "Swear it."
Khione's voice was sure. "I swear it on the river Styx."
"Then I accept your conditions." I knelt down next to Jay and touched her arm gently.
She lifted her head and met my eyes. Disbelief and pain flashed through them. She didn't want me here. She knew what was happening.
I leaned in next to her as I whispered. A whisper only for her and the gods above to hear.
      "That which was given willingly to me, I give to you."
I felt it immediately.
      And I knew that she did too.
      Without the power, I was left feeling weak. But I knew that Jay was now stronger than ever. Understanding flashed through her eyes and she gave the slightest nod of her head.
I shifted the weight from her shoulders onto mine. I gasped as it crushed me. Khione smiled as Jay fell on the rocks, exhausted. Jay managed to raise her head enough to look at me. But I didn't meet her eyes. I couldn't.
"And now, Olympus' chosen one is out of the war." Khione knelt so she was eye level with me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jay start to crawl downward, toward Camp Jupiter. "Olympus will fall. You signed the death warrant, Julian Glynn." Khione stood and started to walk away. "They will all die. Every one of them. Even Jayde." Khione met my eyes before she disappeared down the trail off the mountain. I noticed that Jay was out of sight now too.
Holding the weight of the world, I smiled.
      Because I hadn't condemned Olympus and everyone else to death.
I had given them exactly what they needed.
      I had given them hope.