22. Light

I walked mindlessly down the dark tunnel. My thoughts were wild and I didn't try to control them. I didn't care.
What if Khione was wrong? What if the Seven can help me? What if I chose wrong? I shivered. The sound of water dripping bounced off the tile walls of the tunnel. The smell was horrible but I had blocked it out a few hours ago. How long had I been walking? I had no clue.
A splash told me that I had stepped in a puddle of water. Again. I sighed as I continued on. Khione told me to follow the tunnel. So I did. Right now, it wasn't getting me anywhere. A thought crossed my mind as I stepped in more water. I was a child of Neptune. I didn't need to deal with this.
Pausing my endless march, I focused on the water in my shoes. I closed my eyes and focused. I could feel the water. Each droplet, each molecule. I tugged at them. Slowly, the water slid from my shoes. I opened my eyes and sighed in relief. I had dry feet again at least.
      I took a few more steps before realizing that I could see in front of me. My head snapped up as the thought of light filled my mind. A few yards in front of me was a small rusted gate. Beyond the gate I could see trees and tall grass.
      I sprinted the distance, covering it quickly and ultimately regretting it. I leaned against the tiled wall as I panted for breath. Once I could breath normal again, I inspected the gate.
      The gate itself stood seven feet tall but the bars above it extended to the roof of the tunnel, another seven feet up. The gate was red from years of weather and looked as if it could have been broken by a toddler. The lock was rusted as well, but looked to be firm in holding the gate in place. I reached my hand out and pushed one of the bars. It creaked slightly but didn't give away. Frustrated, I slammed my palm against the lock. The lock didn't break, but now had a handprint on the steel.
      Wait. I'm blessed by the twelve Gods. That includes Hephaestus. I looked at my hands. I closed my eyes and focused. Fire. I felt a tingling in my fingertips. A warm sensation flooded into my hands and when I opened my eyes, I had a fireball in my hands. I grinned as I looked at the gate.
      The gate didn't have a fighting chance as the fire engulfed it. The metal melted quickly and I stepped through it triumphantly. It didn't last.
      The lush green that I had caught a glimpse of was an illusion. The trees and grass faded from green to brown the closer to the horizon it got. In front of me, the green was swallowed by a large cliff. I could hear rushing water coming from the end of it. I hesitated, not sure what to do. I was out of the city. Now what? I hadn't planned this far.
      I sighed as I made my way to one of the trees. My eyelids dropped as I slid down against it. Sleep. That's what I needed. I leaned my head against the rough bark. I let my eyes close as the sound of the rushing water took over my thoughts.