8. Clash

Jason grabbed my arm before I could take more than one step. Reyna, the dogs, Percy, and Annabeth were all running toward the demigod. My eyes were still glued to the figure on the cliff.
      "Julian. Let them handle this," Jason whispered as I fought him.
      The feeling in my gut told me different. "They can't. Jason, they're after me. Let me–" A rumble shook the ground. Roman soldiers rushed past us. One bumps into Jason and he loses his focus. I used the confusion to slip away from Jason. What was he anyway, my babysitter?
      I ran with the rest of them. At one point I bumped into Annabeth. I slipped away before she could grab me. The Romans stopped before the gate but I didn't. I heard shouts of protest as I pushed past the front lines and made it to the river's edge.
      Suddenly, the water shot up in front of me, forming a wall. Percy, I thought as I stumbled backwards. The person on the cliff was gone but I knew that they were still watching. I needed answers. Camp Jupiter couldn't give them to me.
      I moved to get up but a strong wind kept me in place. Jason flew over me. He turned to face me when he was in front of the water, still a few inches from the top of the wave. I could see the power in his eyes. I knew he would hurt me if I fought him. It was a chance I would take.
      I needed the wind holding me to stop. I felt it lighten as I thought about it. Jason was stopping me. He's holding you back. Khione's voice drifted on the wind. Whether it was real or not didn't matter.
Yes. He is. I lifted my eyes to meet his. I thought about how it would feel if he didn't have any power. If it could be taken away. A worried look crossed his face as he wobbled in the air a little. More. I pushed at him. I could feel the wind pick up. It wasn't his.
      My wind.
      I felt his power in the air. I knew I could control it. A wicked smile crossed my face as I ripped it away. Jason fell from the air, splashing into the water. My bow was already in hand and the arrow knocked by the time I turned around. I let the arrow go as Percy slid to the ground, barely avoiding it.
      I felt Jason in the water. I was holding him there. He couldn't breath. Percy was up and running at me again. I could feel the water that Percy was trying to move. Trying to save Jason. How was I holding it? Not a clue. I just knew I could.
      Percy was pulling frantically at it now. Jason was fading. I closed my eyes. Power. I felt it. I opened my eyes as I hurled all the water at Percy. He yelped as it hit him. He was unable to control it. I heard Jason behind me, coughing. I let go of the water as Percy fell. He was shaking on his hands and knees. I had taken his element and turned it against him.
      The smile vanished from my face as I realized what had happened. I just took out the most powerful of the Seven.
     Good, a voice floated in on the wind. I turned to find a figure standing on the other side of the now dry riverbed. You are learning. But you are careless. The figure thrust a hand forward. Something slammed into my chest, sending me to the ground. I coughed as I rolled to my side.
      Until we meet again, Julian Glynn. I turned my head to look at the figure again. Instead, Jason was standing on the edge of the river bed. And he didn't look very happy. Water hit me before I could say anything. I cried out in pain as my head hit the ground. A gust of strong wind held me in place again. It didn't matter. I groaned as Percy and Jason both stood over me.
      "Julian..." I couldn't tell if Jason was worried, angry, or both. Percy's sword, Riptide, hovered over my throat. I closed my eyes and let my head rest on the ground. What had I just done?