4. Choices

"Khione," Piper's voice was low and menacing.
      Khione laughed. "Grace. Move aside." I saw the muscles in his body strain as he moved. The five demigods in the Iris message all froze. They didn't know she could charmspeak.
Khione smiled at them. "I've learned a few more tricks since we last met. Now stay, and enjoy the party. Won't you?"
She turned toward Jason. A long dagger of ice grew in her hand as she advanced upon him. I felt his power in the air, wanting to do something, but Khione kept it at bay somehow. She smiled again as she drew the dagger back. I flinched as it sank into Jason's shoulder with a soft thud.
      Khione laughed as Jason grunted when she pulled the knife out. I closed my eyes as she repeated this process. The five demigods crying out from the rainbow and Jason's groans of pain as Khione pulled the knife out of him again and again were overwhelming. I knew she wouldn't kill him but my heart told me to do something.
      I opened my eyes. Khione stood with her knife poised over Jason, who had sunk to the ground with blood pouring out of his chest in different places. Khione smiled as the knife went down once more. I jumped at her before the knife hit Jason. We slammed into the frozen bars of the cell. I was pushing her against the icy bars.
      Khione gave me a bitter smile. "I was wondering when you'd act up." I saw her arm move but I couldn't react fast enough to stop her. I gasped and fell backwards as the frozen dagger dripped with mine and Jason's mixed blood. Khione hesitated before throwing the dagger at the five demigods still watching. The message dissolved as the ice passed through it.
      Jason was pushing himself up, blood soaking his shirt. "Khione..." his voice was weak. Khione spun to face him. Her lips curled up in a sneer. She brought her foot back and kicked Jason. I doubled over as pain shot through my stomach when her foot connected with Jason. She paused to look at me.
      "Interesting," she muttered as she strolled over to me. She kneeled in front of me. "You know, you remind me of somebody." Khione put two fingers under my chin and lifted my head. Everything in my body told me to back up. We were only a few inches apart. "You remind me of Valdez," she whispered, "without the fire now."
      "I don't–" I struggled. "Who–"
       "Shut up." The words stop coming out of my mouth. She tilted her head. "You had fire a few minutes ago. You don't now. Does something trigger it? Hm?" I just glared at her. She smiled. "You don't know, do you?"
I heard Jason grunt as he struggled to get up behind her. She grabbed my arm and stood, pulling me with her. She leaned forward until her lips were by my ear. "Let's go somewhere more private, hm?" She started toward the cell door but I planted myself.
"I won't–"
"You come with me or he dies," Khione looked over at Jason.
He started to protest but I cut him off. "Fine." I was sick. My head started to spin as Khione pulled me forward. Khione smiled as she dragged me out of the cell and down an ice hallway. She took so many turns I got lost. She decided that one particular room was good enough and led me inside.
As soon as the door closed Khione pushed me against the wall. The stab wound on my side hurt as it connected with the solid wall. My world started to tilt even more. "You're kinda cute." She pulled on a piece of my hair. I squirmed, unsure of what to say. One of her hands started tugging at the corner of my shirt. I pushed it away.
Khione looked at me then backed up. She walked over to the balcony and stepped outside. She motioned for me to follow her. I hesitated. She huffed then walked back inside when I did nothing. She walked back over to me.
"Look. I don't–" I started. She slammed me against the wall again. This time, I could see stars from the pain in my side. My head protested. Each of her hands was on either of my arms. And they were freezing. I saw the veins of ice spider webbing on my shirt.
"You will pick before tomorrow," Khione's voice was low, "you either help us and Jason will live or you don't and all of the Seven will die."
I swallowed. "I won't help you." I had to focus on each word not to stutter.
"Wrong choice. That's why I've decided to  give you a little more incentive." Khione smiled as pressed her lips against mine. I tried to fight her but my body was useless, almost completely numb from her cold.
"Stop," I did my best to push her back, but inside something stirred.
I heard her laugh. "You will choose. And you will choose me."