Chapter 1

Despite the silence in my thoughts, the diner was loud with music and conversation. I read the menu again, an excuse to keep my head down and away from anyone that may be looking my way. I quickly checked the time on the clock next to the counter.

7:50.

She was supposed to meet me at 7:30. I came to the diner 10 minutes early already. I think my waiter has given up on asking me if I'm ready to order without her.

My head is pounding. I don't know if it's the stress, the cold weather, or the shitty music in the place. I roughly push past my things in my bag looking for my orange bottle.

"There you are!"

I look up and see Angela.

"Hey."

"Sorry I'm late. I hope I didn't keep you long. Traffic was a bitch."

"I wasn't waiting that long."

I gave her my menu to look at, I already decided what I wanted. She motioned a waiter over almost immediately.

"I'll have a turkey sandwich", she said.

"And you", the waiter asked me?

"Bacon, egg, and cheese."

"Alright, it'll be ready soon."

Angela took her peacoat and her lavish layers off. She warmed up her polished, manicured hands.

"How was England?"

"Great", she said as she searched through her bag. She pulled something out enthusiastically.

"Here ya go."

In front of me was a miniature snow globe. Within it was a miniature Big Ben, Buckingham Place, and other British landmarks I couldn't bother to think of, all compiled in one.

I thanked her and proceeded with the basic formalities. When did you land? What did you do? Did I really care? Absolutely not. I've been trying to pretend to be normal. If I didn't keep a certain face and tone, she would notice. Honestly, I'd rather be ignored than anything. I don't like the pitiful "what's wrong." The last thing I want to do at this moment is open up. Especially to Angela.

We were both starting our last year in school. Angela spent her summer semester in the UK. She wanted me to go with her, but I couldn't salvage the money. I wouldn't go to such a cultureless place like the UK if I had the money. I'm still wondering where she got the money to go. She's studying some scientific field, can't remember. I haven't seen her weeks since she came back however. It's late September now.

The waiter brings our food. I wasn't really hungry to be honest. Especially not for a bacon egg and cheese. I warmed my cold fingers around the hot mug of coffee. Angela dove in.

"So I roomed with this group of these exchange students. One American, the rest were German. They brought me to the local theatre, sponsored by the university. It was so beautiful."

I've tuned out at this point. I heard Charlie Brown's wah wah wah in my head.

"...And his eyes were crystal blue. I've never seen eyes like his! We went for a few drinks afterwards and let me tell you. I don't think I've ever met a guy like him. He's so poetic."

Tuned out again. Angela has been through many guys, hurts to say. I'm not trying to shame her or anything. She's not promiscuous in any way, just shallow. I really feel bad for the sucker. It hurts to think of her this way, but it's a realization I've come to while she left.

"He's doing his PhD at City University! He's working over at Hunter as an adjunct, maybe you'll see him around!"

"Oh that's crazy, he really came down here."

My awkward reply went unnoticed by Angela. I stuffed my face with my sandwich to avoid speaking again.

"Yeah it's something he's been meaning to do. I guess being with me just pushed him to it."

I wouldn't even leave the city to go to the same college with my high school boyfriend, and here's this guy crossing the Atlantic.

Me and Angela left the diner. We walked downtown. I lived in a small apartment in Harlem shared with another student at City College. Angela lived in a slightly larger apartment in the lower east side. No roommates.  Instead of parting ways, she offered for me to come to her place. I agreed mainly because I wanted to meet this new guy she spent the entire night on about.

A lengthy train ride down brought us to the border of Chinatown. I admired the short streets of the area. I could walk endlessly around here. I blindly followed her to her building. Tripped walking up the stairs, shared a laugh on that. Some Halloween decor was placed on the doors of her neighbors. Her loud keys finally unlocked the door. Her house smelled like cinnamon scented candles and coffee. Interesting scents. The living room was dimly lit with papers and books scrawled in the floor and couch.

"I'm home!", she shouted in a Desi Arnaz manner.

Shuffling noises came out of her bedroom. He came out frantically.

"This is Cillian."

Cillian. Interesting name. With a K? A C?

"Lucia."

"Lucia", he repeated. Leew-Shah. His accent distorted its pronunciation.

We exchanged handshakes and nice to meet yous. His accent wasn't a typical British accent. It was a strong Irish? Scottish? Nearly incomprehensible.

"Angela has told me much about you!"

"Really? That doesn't sound so good."

He assured me it was all good.

We watched Basic Instinct that night. Cillian on the left end, Angela in the middle, both in a cuddled position. Me on the right end. We all fell asleep there.