Chapter 3

"You know I thought I saw you in the English department office earlier today. Was that you?"

"Yeah I work there."

I forced out a smile. Another example of how what's going on in my head, does not match up to my outward expressions.

He was good at it though. He had these tense eyebrows that made him seem like smiling wasn't natural to him. But his smile was enough.

"So you're teaching here?"

"Yeah I just finished a class an hour ago. Holed myself up in my office."

A light 'ha' came out of my mouth.

I looked at the floors dropping. 8. 7. 6. Why was it going so slow?

"So what are you up to after this?"

"Ah just going home. I have to catch up on some work." I scratched my head awkwardly.

"You know, we should get coffee sometime."

I looked at him. Smiled and nodded. I hoped it was convincing enough.

"I don't know that many people here and it would be nice. Show me where to get a good cup of coffee", he continued.

"A good cup of coffee? Not sure about that but I can get you a decent cup of coffee."

"Well alright then!" He flashed that smile again.

Ding

The first floor. I took a deep breath. I felt like I was being cornered and judged.

"See you around!" I quickly said before I jolted to the door. He said something too but I couldn't make it out.

I was quickly hit by a gust of cold air. It was only 6 but the sky was nearly black. I grabbed my scarf out of my bag and and sloppily threw it around my neck.

I unlocked the door to my apartment. Lights were off. I guess Des didn't come home yet. I changed and heated up some leftover Cuban food. Le Mepris was on tv. I ate and fell asleep on the couch.

———————————————————————————

"Luce"

I jolted up.

"Hm?"

Des was brushing her teeth over me.

"It's 7, get up", she muttered through her foamy mouth.

I yawned. Tied my hair up and put a pot of milk to boil for our coffee. Traditional, ya know.

I quickly got ready. Got my books together and all. I was ready fairly quicker than Des, considering I was up after her.

"Did you check the messages? Your parents called", she yelled from her room.

I went into phone and played the messages.

"Hi Lucia", my mom began, "call me back."

It was 7:45, i didn't have enough time. Des hopped to me as she put her boot on.

"Ok, ok, I'm ready."

Des was from Harlem. I'm from the Bronx. We knew each other from high school. We weren't close but we had a better bond than me and Angela. Me and Ang knew each other from childhood and just reconnected because we both took the same train into the city when I lived my parents.