Chapter 4

As soon as I got back to my place I had another wave of regret plaguing me. It was already 7:30. I laid across my bed. I was considering getting under the covers, tucking myself in, and turning my space heater on. But if I did that there was no chance of leaving. Still I couldn't see myself getting out of here.  Time had passed and I knew that because I couldn't tell if I was falling asleep or not. The locks being shifted is what got me out of that cloud though. I heard Des and the voice of her boyfriend walking in.

My cue to leave.

"Luce?" She called from the door.

"In here!"

I pushed through the force that kept me laying down to get up.

"Hey Carlos." I waved at him while wiping whatever crust or drool formed on my face.

"Hey Lucia."

"We're staying in tonight. Aren't you going out for drinks later?"

Well I am now. Des gave me "rules are rules, let me have sex in peace" eyes.

"Yeah, I was just about to leave."

It was a mutual rule that we had. Although I only used it when I had a month long fling with a photographer last year. Ok I have to hurry up and get ready. I spent even more time deciding what to wear. Turtleneck and jeans it is.

____________________________________

I scanned for everyone through the window. I saw Angela and Cillian sitting at the corner table. I debated doing some deep belly breathes before I went in but I was already standing outside for a long time. The people at the bus stop across the street have probably been wondering what the fuck I was doing. I walked in the door, taking my jacket off. Angela and Cillian saw me instantly. Them including others at the table who I didn't know said hey. I sat down at the table next to Angela who was cuddled up with him on the adjacent booth side.

"Thanks for the invite", I said sarcastically.

"I called you! It went to the machine."

I guess I'll accept that. As I adjusted myself in my seat I realized who I was siting next to. Not Angela, or Cillian, or any English professors, but him. Professor High Praise. Valdez.

He looked at me and raised an eyebrow.

Shit.

"Hi!" I had to break the silence.

He pointed his finger at me, repeatedly wagging it in the air. He looked like he was about to say something but it just wasn't coming out. This was getting pretty scary.

"You're in my Latin American history class."

Well shit did it really take him that long to recognize me? Kind of embarrassing.

"Yeah."

This was awkward and he knew it too. I turned to see Angela and Cillian who were to consumed in another conversation to save me.

"How do you know-."

"Cillian? Uh I'm friends with Angela."

He nodded. I guess he could sense the shakiness in my voice. I drank whatever drink Angela had in her cup to soothe my nerves. She didn't even notice.

He leaned as close as he could get without touching me. I held my breath. I don't know if my breath smelled. I did sleep for a bit. I think I have gum in my pocket.

"You know this doesn't have to be awkward."

"Of course." My voice croaked if this couldn't get any worse.