Chapter Five: The Academy

The nerves started to set in as Kyroth made his way towards the entrance were Vesk waited, rather casually.  It did not take long for him to cross the distance, without a word Vesk walked into the door leaving it open behind him.  Figuring that meant to follow Kyroth did, closing the door behind him as he did so.  Once he turned back the inside was underwhelming, impressive still but nothing like what he had imagined.  

He expected to see outrageous and amazing things but instead it was just a hallway that led to a larger room.  Magnificent murals of strange animals and mages battling could be seen as he passed.  Not wanting to seem rude he did not take too much time studying them as he would like but continued to move on down the hall following along.  

The first room was rather large, with very little in the middle.  The floor was adorned with a very vibrant rug that covered most of the room.  Bookcases filled two of the walls while in the opposite corner sat a well made black wooden desk.  It took a minute to realize that Vesk had been waiting in the middle of the room as Kyroth had been scanning his surroundings.  

"Sorry, so much around here is new to me."  Kyroth stated walking to the mage.  His arms were still full of his stuff as he stood there awkwardly glancing around still looking at the paintings that broke up the bare walls.  

"It is not a big deal.  So as I said we are going to do your entry assessment.  From what I was sent by your parents you awakened less then two weeks ago correct?"  Vesk asked matter of factually as he pulled out a pad of paper and a pencil.  

"That is right sir."  Kyroth answered the hazy memory of the night flashing before his eyes.  "I was attacked by wolves and when they pounced on me it just happened."  He added unsure if adding it was wise or not.  

"Most awaken when something like that happens.  Not always but most, it is the body trying to protect itself by awakening the magic in you.  Hence why we call it awakening."  Vesk stated with a sly smile writing a few more words down.  "So what happened when you awakened what magic manifested?"  The letter he had gotten was unclear what had happened most due to no one witnessing it.  

"My body burned, then started to glow and I was faster and stronger then I was before."  Kyroth stated the most recent use of the power fresh in his mind.  That memory was not hazy like the first time which seemed strange to him.  "Plus afterwards my head and body ached horribly."

Vesk put the pencil to his mouth and thought for a moment, a bit of confusion on his face for a few minutes.  "Well it sounds like Augment but that usually only effects small areas.  So your entire body was like this?"  He asked with moderate interest.  

"Yes, both times I used it my entire body was glowing and I could move every part of my body faster.  Not only that I could see farther and hear way better then I normally could."  Kyroth answered his nerves rising with each word.  From what he was gathering what he explained was not normal.  

"Wait wait, you said both times?  You should not have built up enough mana to cause your powers to go out of control in the short time you have awakened.  Until you touch the orb your body will fill to the brim with mana and then you will dump it all out in a single burst of power leaving you mana burned.  Which is what caused the headaches and body fatigue."  Vesk stated his face now really confused as he started writing more down, shaking his head as if he was having a internal conversation with himself.  

"Yes, I activated it just three days ago.  It was strange feeling, a mass of energy in my stomach area and pulling on it.  We were jumped by some bandits and it was either do something or die."  Kyroth rattled on unsure of what to do besides just try to explain himself.  How Vesk was acting was making him worried.