Chapter 25: Sylph

A light mist woke Kyroth from his unconsciousness.  His entire body hurt as he propped himself up noticing that he had to be early morning.  Rubbing his head he muttered to himself, "Two days, that is all I have left."  Laying back down he sighed pulling the map from his back pocket checking where he was. 

The map showed that he was till quite a ways from the Academy, it would probably take close to the two days even if he optimized his time using augment on his legs.  That was also taking into account if he did not run into any more creatures who wanted him dead.  Slipping it back into his pocket Kyroth laid there staring at the clouds, letting the mist hit him.  

A few minutes later he pulled himself to his feet and started to gather his weapons, they were scattered across the ground.  While searching for them he came across each of the fangs that had been broken from the strain of two similarly buffed attacks.  Figuring it wouldn't be a bad idea to take them he slipped them into his pack.  

Leaving the dead body of the cat behind he had made it probably a mile, taking a break to drink from his water skin.  "Wait, didn't Zerif state that magical beasts had magic cores."  Shaking his head at his own ignorance he turned to sprint back.  On his way back he noticed that the dark clouds were starting to approach again.  He would need to hurry if he wanted to beat it.  

Sliding to a stop next to the dead Gale Saber the mist had already turned into a light rain.  With quick efficiency he pulled out his dagger and started to cut into it with skilled hands.  The creature might be large and unusual but he had cleaned enough animals to know the best way to clean it.  Several minutes later and he had made his way to the core, it had taken longer then he had expected as he had no idea where it would be located.  

Pulling the core out it was roughly the size of grapefruit, it was a dull emerald color on the outside.  Inside however it let off a bright green light, somehow the outside still seemed dull.  He could feel the magic inside of it, brilliant and fierce against his palm.  He could understand now why people would hunt these creatures to gain such a item.  Pushing it into his pack, he took off again needing to make up lost time.  

The terrain stayed similar to what he was used to for the remainder of the day.  Hills filled with large groupings of trees.  The rolling plains would break the patches of trees up, if he had not been a hurry Kyroth would have preferred to go around the difficult terrain in the forest.  Regardless he pushed through it at the peak of his speed, attempting to pull mana into his body as he ran.  It was clear that he was getting way less then when he stopped and focused on it, but it allowed him to continue much longer.  

When his mana would get dangerously close to running out he would stop and re-hydrate, eating some of the simple rations that Zerif had given him.  Afterwards he would sit down and let the mana around him flow into his body.  It was a very taxing strain to put on his body, even when his body was resting he was still mentally active.  One would think that his night of unconsciousness would have left his refreshed, that was not the case.  

Near the end of the first day, the wind and rain had started to pick up making it hazardous to walk let alone run at augmented speeds.  Letting his body rest a bit he decided to walk keeping a decent pace but not being surrounded by his augment.  He was terrified that the storm closing in on him was the same one created by the magical beasts.  The entire day had been quiet, almost too quiet like the other creatures knew what was coming towards them. 

By the time night fully came the storm had become treacherous just to be out in it.  Letting mana flood into his eyes he augmented them allowing him to make things out better then before.  He could see not only better in the darkness but farther.  It took him another hour before he found a small cave to hide in.  It did not go far into the wall, but was enough to keep the wind and the rain out.