Chapter Six: The Wait

Sprinting to catch up he juggled his apothecary case, it was quite awkward and heavy to run with. "Temporary housing?" Kyroth asked inquisitively. There was so much about this place he did not know. His general curiosity rearing up, wanting to know as much as he could.

"Yes, every three months we begin a new group of students. Due to the randomness of awakening we cannot just have a cut and dry start to a group. So we decided that four times a year we would take the collected kids and start them. Until the three months is up we keep you guys in temporary housing. Once you touch the orb and officially become one of us you will then be assigned into a team of anywhere between five to ten students. This will be your primary classmates as well as living mates. We will move you to your own living area as a group." Tiarr stated, it was pretty cut and dry how she said it most likely due to saying it so much.

"So when does the next class start?" Kyroth asked, remembering Vesk had mentioned something about it not long ago but his brain was lucky to even keep up let alone still function. There was just so much to take it, not to mention the elaborate decorations around them was outstanding. They had entered a hallway now that was lined with statues of men and woman alike, each one had a plaque under them. The first he read stated the persons name and which headmaster or headmistress they were. It was shocking to see so many statues, Kyroth wondered why they changed so much.

"Tomorrow, we will begin the orb testing shortly after breakfast. You are lucky if you had been a day later you would have had to be cooped up for three months. During that time you get very little access to the rest of the academy and it is dreadfully boring. Trust me, I came a week after a new group was selected, probably my worst two months here to be honest." Disgust evident in her voice at the unpleasant memory.

The next several halls were plain compared to the others. They had fancy carpets that ran down the hall, where they were nothing seemed to really decorate the walls except candles every ten feet or so to keep the place lit. Due to the less decorated, Kyroth noticed that the stones walls were black, somehow though it did not make the hallway seem dark. Ten minutes later they opened up into another ridiculously large room. What he saw was even stranger, inside this large room were hundreds of small rooms positioned in perfect rows. Each room had a door and window next to it, each window was blocked out by a curtain. The rooms were free standing, ten feet separating them from each other in all directions.

"Now you see what I mean." Tiarr stated raising her hands out showing him the temporary living space. "I mean it is not bad, but it is very lacking. Sometimes it is packed to capacity while other times like now, it has less then a hundred awakened here." From what he could tell from the large room it would get pretty boring here.

"There is however a exit to the outside in the back and over to the left there is a cafeteria where you can get food just about whenever you want. Other then that, not much you can do." Tiarr stated as she took off again motioning him to follow. How she knew where to go was beyond Kyroth as they took turn after turn weaving in and out of the rooms. Several people had started to peak out the curtains or look out open doors at the new person. Chattering also started up as he passed, his face turned a shade of red embarrassed at not knowing what was being said about him.

Stopping in front of a room that above the door had a letter and a number, C32. "Well here is a place to sleep for the night. Like I said you will be moving soon so do not bother unpacking or anything. We also try to put people as far from each other as possible. When there is this few the privacy is increased, the surrounding rooms are empty probably the second row out as well. Here is your key keep it save, only the most powerful mages could get in without that key." Tiarr winked handing him the key and waving her body flashing away reappearing at the entrance they had come in.