Chapter Fifteen: Learning

Kyroth and Nivora made there way through the Academy in silence.  They only got lost once making them have to get out their maps to get back on track.  When they showed up they were the last ones to enter the others already seated.  Checking the map he noticed that they still had at least twenty minutes left.  

Sliding into his seat he waved at Syn, she blushed but waved back.  A minute later the door burst open and Professor Assera walked in.  "Glad to see you arrived early.  Must be eager to practice magic, sadly we will not be casting anymore today."  Assera stated leaning against her desk.  

"How did you know we were all here?"  Kyroth asked puzzled.  Many of the other students shared the same interest that he did.  

Chuckling softly she pulled out her map, it was much more worn then theirs but looked otherwise the same.  Folding it open it showed that all of them were on the map sitting in their chairs.  "When you got assigned to me your badges were linked to my map.  Sadly you cannot manually block this like you can with each other."  Assera added with a wink.  "Got to keep a eye on you guys."  Her gaze lingered on Kyroth and Nivora for just a brief second.  

Folding it back up she slipped it into her dress, what pocket in was stashed in, he had no idea as he saw none from where he was sitting.  "So, for the rest of today we will discuss the types of magic you will probably run into.  We have gone over quite a few this morning, Offensive, Defensive, supportive.I showed you guys debuff's when i blocked Isen's mana from his reach.  This is considered both offensive and supportive."  Assera stated clearly so that they could jot down what they wanted to.  

"Many spells can fall into any of the categories, some only falling into one where as some can fall into all three.  Every element is capable of each however some are naturally better at certain ones."  

"There are a few other types but they are more specialized such as constructs and summoning.  Both of these are hard to do."  Assera added as she sat back down on her desk.  

Syn raised her little hand up and sat patiently her eyes looking down a bit afraid to ask the question but driven to.  Assera nodded for her to ask the question.  "What is summoning then?"  Her voice quiet voice was hard to hear even for Kyroth who was right next to her.  

"Well, for one it is a much higher type of spell then you should be attempting.  It is the act of using your mana and the mana around you to create a creature.  It takes a vast amount of mana and once started cannot be stopped.  Very few people actually have the raw potential to even pull it off.  Some spells you have to have a affinity for to gain the higher levels of it, or to cast in general."  Assera stated with a soft smile.  

"It usually takes a person until they are a Second or even Third Shard to really figure out what they are best at.  A person's element and starting powers help guide us the teachers but that does not always give defined specialties.  I  mean Charvor has a very low chance not to excel at attack spells due to both light, fire, and his arcane blast are attack heavy."  Charvor smiled and held himself even higher in his seat, something Kyroth did not know was even possible.  He hated that scum like Charvor was getting praised.  

"Again, those just help guide us.  With practice and hard work you can get quite high in a area that you are not naturally gifted in.  It will of course be harder, but possible.  With the exception of summoning, you either can or cannot do it."  It seemed weird for her to contradict herself, but it made sense.  

Ash was the next to raise his hand, he kept his other arm crossed over his chest.  Curiosity covered his face, which was a new look on him.  "So is summoning the only way to gain a animal partner?"  Ash asked when Assera nodded for him to ask.