Chapter 11 ( Two hearts, one song)

Reader's P.O.V.

After what transpired between Laito and I a few hours earlier, I found myself in the school's music room. Shu was also in the music room with me but he was asleep. So this is his ideal place to go to for peace and quiet? It seemed obvious enough, Shu was musically inclined and unless some huge production was going on at night, no one was ever in the music room so the classes are mostly in the day. The room was basically all his so he could nap at his leisure. I slowly pressed one key often the other, playing a musical piece from my memory. Though I seemed to be playing based on my emotions because the song I was playing was sounding sadder than I wanted it too.

This reminded me of that time I was in the school talent show, my mom had taught me to play the piano and the violin. Both instruments that I sucked at playing no matter how much I practiced.

I was seven years old when my parents and I had just come from the talent show. It was a cool but quiet night as everyone filed out of the school. Mom and dad had not spoken to me since we left but I hadn't noticed all too much since I was busy cradling my trophy. I had won second place and while I was happy to receive something than nothing at all, my parents didn't feel the same way.

Mom: That damn Kato family wins every year. What are they doing that I'm not doing 10 times as harder. The judges took favoritism that's all there is to it.

(Y/n): But it's just a talent show not a competition. I still had fun and I like the trophy, even if I didn't win. Rena deserved first place, she played something so complicated that I couldn't.

Mom: Of course she won, I couldn't give you anything difficult because you'd mess it up just like you did on stage. If you hadn't missed that note you would have had the bigger better trophy and the money.

Dad: Your mother is right (Y/n), never settle for anything below 1st place, second place is only the first loser.

I fell silent as we reached our car.

Mom: Give that thing to me.

Mom said as she held out her hand and was looking at my trophy.

(Y/n): B-but I want to keep it....

Dad: Give it to your mother (Y/n), she's just trying to teach you important lessons in life. It'll make you better. You should understand that everything we do is for you to succeed.

Without warning mom snatched my trophy away from me but I said nothing, knowing it would only make the situation worse. She chucked the trophy s far as she could, breaking the shiny silver figures head that rolled inches away from the trophy. The figure was now beheaded, holding a violin.

Mom: Get in the car (Y/n).

Obeying her, I strapped myself with my seat belt, trying to hold in my tear. As dad drove out of the parking lot, I looked out the window, glancing at my trophy for the last time. There I could see the perfectly cursive words written on it:

(Y/n) (L/N) Second place winner.

Focusing back on the piano, I tried not to let my memories get in the way but they always did. Just like that night and many times before, my fingers fumbled on the piano keys, emitting a terrible sound.

Laito: I didn't know you were the musical type.

I hear a voice say behind me. I instantly knew it was Laito.

Dr.(Y/n): Can you announce yourself when you enter a room like a normal person would do.

Laito: I'm not a normal person, Laito replied as he glanced back at Shu who was asleep beside a window.

Laito: I see you've met the bum of the family.

Dr.(Y/n): Don't say such things about your brother.

Laito didn't say anything, he merely strode over, taking off his fedora and placing it on top of the piano before sitting beside me. He adjusted himself in the proper posture before playing a very lovely tune on the piano.

Dr.(Y/n): I know I'm not as good at playing as you are but you don't have to show off.

I teased.

Laito: You play good enough but your timing is a bit off.

Dr.(Y/n): You sound just like my mom. -_-

Laito chuckled.

Laito: I'll help you out, we'll start with a duet. What would you like to play.

Dr.(Y/n): I doubt you'll know any of the pieces I do. You'll think it's too old.

Laito: Let me hear it.

Laito insisted. I sat up straight, stretching out my fingers and lightly brushed them on the keys. I had always had a steady hand and yet my hands began to shake at this very moment. I took a light breath before playing part of the tune from memory, closing my eyes to further concentrate. I was actually surprised when Laito joined in, adding onto the influence of the music when he was playing his part. It was god to know he had taste for some of the older piano music.

It was actually very relaxing with the two of us playing like that. I got a boost of confidence. Though I have to admit, Laito always brought the best out of me, even when he could be annoying and very persistent. I felt like he really appreciated me. More importantly I felt happy when he was near me and very fortunate that he preferred to hand around someone like me and give me all of his attention. I know this isn't appropriate but he always made my heart skip a beat and within seconds the feeling would be gone. I tried hiding a blush that I could feel creeping under my skin as the music died down. I actually wished the duet could last just a little bit longer. Turning to Laito for a short moment, I gave him a really happy smile before a voice caught my ear.

Shu: Why did you stop?

Shu said with  his eyes closed.

Dr.(Y/n): Sorry Shu, I should probably be going but I'm gad you were enjoying the music.

I say before getting up.

Dr. (Y/n): And thank you Laito, for playing a duet with me. We sounded really....beautiful together.

I say before leaving.

Laito: Indeed we do.