Chapter 9

"Where are we going? James'? Or Bruce's?"
"My place is fine mom." He groaned.
"You are most certainly not staying there alone."
"Mom-"
"Tony." She said firmly, but quiet, to be careful for his headache.
"Fine, just, gimme a sec." He pulled out his phone and dialled a number. He didn't realize what time it was until the man answered. "Mmm... hello? Tony?"
"Hi, um, steve. Sorry to wake you, but do you think I can crash at your place tonight?" His mom figured steve, was maybe just a new friend that worked at his company, so she stayed quiet.
"Yeah sure. Why?"
"I'll talk to you there about it."
"Oh ok. It's ummm, room, 347 floor three."
"Ok, thanks." He groaned again, and hung up.
"Who's steve? I've never heard you talk about him when you called."
"To be fair, those calls lasted one minute, and..." he trailed off and smiled. "He's my... boyfriend." She turned her head slightly and looked at him before her solid look turned into and cute smile. "Why didn't you tell me?!" "I didn't have time to. Please don't shout." He said quietly.
"Do I get to meet him?"
"Mom, its 1:30 am, I'm surprised you're still awake."
"Well, when you live with your father, you get used to it."
He opened his eyes to look at her. "Why don't you leave him?"
"Because he needs me. And I need him at times."
"Yeah, but does he even help?"
"He does, actually. Your father is a good man, just-"
"Also a homophobic ass." Tony finished for her.
"You could say that."
"Turn here." He said.
"He just, didn't see things the way other people do, he needs someone to help him understand."
"He isn't good at understanding."
"That's true, but someone needs to do something."
"And that someone has to be you?" Or went quiet for a moment. "Were here, you can pull over."
She did, but they stayed in the car for another minute. "I've been married to your father for many, many years. I can't just leave."
They got out of the car and closed the doors as quietly as possible. Tony kept his hand up, shielding his eyes from the light as they both walked up the stairs. "Mom."
"Yes?"
"You're too nice."
"Mmmmhmmm." She almost laughed and went up the stairs and walked down hallways with him. See, if tony were dating a girl, and his dad was here. He'd be asking. "She lives in an apartment? Tony, you have standards." And more crap like that. But, luckily he was with his mom and she honestly didn't care.
They stopped in front of steves apartment door and tony knocked. The door opened and revealed he'd headed steve, wearing grey sweats and a really tight white t-shirt.
The light had been turned on, and it blinded tony. He kept his hand shielding his eyes, hiding most of the cut but not all of it. He was going to say something about it, but tonys mom started talking. Wait, steve didn't know who she is, so when she spoke, he was kind of puzzled, and tired.
"You must be steve, I am tonys mother." She stuck out her hand and he shook it.
"Hi." He tried not to yawn, but almost did anyways.
"Ok, mom. Go home. Get some sleep, don't bother dealing with dad yet."
She kissed her cheek and she hugged him.
She seemed sad to be leaving, after she'd seen her son after years. "Maybe we can have lunch one day." Steve said, and tony looked at him and smiled. Steve smiled back.
"Lunch sounds good. Goodnight honey."
"Bye mom." She walked away and tony went inside and turned off the light.
But steve turned it back on and tony hissed. "What happened?"
"I went so say hi to my parents. Dad wasn't happy to see me." He blocked the light out of his eyes while steve checked the cut out. "What the hell did he do?" He examined the cut intensely.
"Broke a whiskey bottle on my head." Steve backed up and his jaw dropped. Tony dead was abusive and a drunk. "It's fine, I'm fine. Just a bad headache."
"Well, I have to stitch that up."
"Steve, you don't need to-"
"I do, or it'll scar. And I'm experience, you can trust me."
Tony closed his eyes and nodded "okay."
Steve got the first aid box, a bottle of aspirin and a glass of water. Tony took the aspirin while steve started cleaning the cut. Then he numbed it, and started stitching. His face was so close to tonys, he could feel his breath on his skin, but his eyes were focused. "I'm sorry."
"What for?"
"Showing up on such short notice in the middle of the night all beat up." He shrugged and looked down to his right.
Steve stopped for a few seconds to turn tonys faces so he'd focus on his eyes.
"It's ok. It find. You're my boyfriend, 's what we do."
Tony smiled as steve went back to focusing on his cut. "You're hot when you're serious."
Steve scoffed and finished up. He put a bandage over top and pressed an ice pack over it. Tony winced but soon went back to staring at the blonde.
Then they moved closer, and closer, until their lips met. Tony leaned forward so he was barely sitting on his chair and steve already had his hands wandering up and down tony chest and in his hair.
Tony went to move his hand right under his shirt, but steve pushed his hand away and broke off the kiss. "We should go to bed." Tony didn't want to sleep now, but he nodded his head and followed steve to his room. Steve got tony to climb in and he started to walk or the door but tony stopped him. "Where are you going?"
"To sleep on the couch."
"No, no, steve, get in the bed." He scooted over some more and patted the empty spot beside him.
"It's fine, I can sleep on the couch."
"Steve, get in the bed." He said one last time. Steve shut the door and climbed in next to him.