Chapter 18

Tony looked at his watch, it's still 6:27. "It's 6:27, the diner opens at 8." Steve sighed again and slammed the small cupboard next to the sink closed. "I didn't mean to get you arrested... I-"
"You think that's why I'm mad?" Steve turned around. "You really think that's the only reason? You don't think going through my personal file isn't ok?" Tonys bottom lip dropped as he thought of something to say, but nothing came to mind. "I have to go." He mumbled again.
Tony just spoke up, without even knowing what he was saying. "I'm worried, steve."
"You don't have to be." He said as he tried getting past him in the doorway but tony pushed him back.
"Yes. I do." He locked his eyes on steves that we're looking to the floor. "What you went through over there..." steve balled his hands into fists and focused even more on the floor. "It isn't something someone should have to go through, especially not alone." Steves attention traveled up the wall to the ceiling and he was hitting his thigh. "Please, you can talk to me." He said in a soft voice and tried to get steve to look at him.
Steve glanced at him a few times as he nodded slightly. "Ok, just-just not now." He whispered.
"Okay." Tony smiled a bit and put a hand on steves arm, but he pulled it away and scratched the back of his head.
"Uhm, how are you feeling?"
Tony sighed and put his hands on his hips. "Better. Thanks. How about you? From the fight last night."
"I've been better, but I'll be fine." He shrugged and looked at his feet.
"Are you sure, because your stomach-"
"I said I'm fine."
Tony squinted and nodded. "Okay."
It got awkward then. Standing and staring at each other before steve tried getting around him. "I just have to-"
"Yeah, right."
"Get to my room-"
"Yep." But every time they took a step to the side, they took a step to the same side, until steve just held tony there in place and walked around him.
Honestly, tony was actually expecting a hug or something when he grabbed him, but no.
He turned soon enough to see steve walk into his room and close the door. He took a few seconds to look around the hallway, to take in the beige on walls and the few pictures hanging. He didn't think he'd ever be back there.
Tony sat at the table and waited for steve to almost walk out the door to stand up. Steve stood there, staring at him with big eyes, waiting for something, while tony smiled at him.
"I have to go to the diner."
"Ok."
"So I'm going to leave." He was talking as if there were a serious point to it. "So maybe you should too." He waved his hand in anticipation.
"Oh, right. Ok, yeah."
"Ok." He opened the door and waited for tony to walk out so he could lock the door.
Tony called a cab and saw that Bruce, Rhodes and Thor had left messages, quite a few messages. He started by calling Thor, explained to him that he was fine and just spent the night at another friends house. Same went for Bruce and Rhodes.
He went back to his house, his too big and fancy house to work in the basement or something, luckily he missed eye contact with Bruce who been there all night, so he didn't see his face, his beat up face and he wouldn't have to explain that he went to the gay bar and got beat the shit out of before meeting steve again.
They met up again that night at the diner when they were closing up. All of the customers were gone and Thor and Loki were just cleaning up a bit before heading out.