Chapter 28

Steve illuminated with joy when he noticed the boy stopped crying almost immediately after tony took him. "Tony." Steve said but tony was too distracted by the boy. "Tony." He said again, this time louder. He looked at him briefly and noticed the giant smiled across his lips. "What?" He smirked. "Im sorry." He sat right next to him and wrapped an arm around his waist.
"I'm sorry too."
Sirens were heard in the distance and tony was for once scared to let the boy go. He was the one who found him, who brought him here, now he didn't want to leave.
But he had to.
He hesitantly handed the boy to a female officer and both him and steve went back to the precinct for a statement. It only took a half hour and tony asked if he could see him again before going back to the hotel. They were allowed to, and were allowed to be in the room alone with him.
Tony was playing with his tiny, chubby arms and letting him play with his fingers. Steve sat behind him and tucked the blanket back in a few times from time to time. "Steve." He said and didn't tear his eyes off of him. "Yeah?"
"If his parents aren't found..." he started and tickled him again. "Why don't we adopt him?"
Steve eyes went wide and a smile stretched across his face. It's crazy how coincidental this was, and unbelievable, but also one of the best things that ever happened in a way.
Steve looked down at the boy. "I thought you didn't..."
Tony tilted his head and sighed. "IT can't be that bad." He shrugged and again, never took his eyes off the boy.
Steve smiled and leaned over his shoulder to play with the tiny hands some more before an officer came in.
She was nice, the name female officer who helped everyone and hung out with her gay friends at a gay bar. They noticed her from there. She only came a few nights though. "Sorry guys, but times up."
Tonys heart actually shattered and he pouted. "Did you find the parents?" Steve asked. Deep down, he hoped she said no.
She sighed. "I can't talk about this with you guys, I'm sorry."
"You found them?!" Tony shouted. Steve put a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it, pretty much telling him to calm down. "I never-"
"But you did." Steve finished. She nodded, but barely. "What's going to happen to him?"
She shrugged, though she knew. "He can't go back with them, they abandoned him!" Tony shouted and the baby whined. He turned back and played with the boys hand some more to calm him down.
"The teen is probably going to be charged, but the parents and the boyfriend want to keep him."
"But-"
"Tony," "She... left him in an alley." Tony was literally on the verge of crying. "
"I know-"
"I sorry, but there's nothing more we can-"
"But we want to adopt him..."
She sighed and sat down next to him. "I'm sorry, but he has a family." "He has a bunch of people who leaves him in alleys." The room went quiet. "No. No. He deserves better."
"Tony we can't do-"
Tony somehow left the room, meaning, he left the boy. He didn't want to leave the boy, but something in him took over and he left, snatching a file from an officers desk on the way out. Luckily, he hadn't been seen by anyone.
Steve had ran after him but never really caught up since he left in the cab they were both supposed to leave in. So he walked the 27 blocks he had to to get back to the hotel, where tonys had all of the papers spread across the floor.
"What the hell? I just walked-" he saw the papers and the file and the stamp that said classified. "What is that?"
Tony piled them up a bit and tried putting them away. "Its... uhm... its-its a file." He shrugged.
"Who's file?" Steve asked a walked closer. "Tony. Who's file?"
"Steve-"
"Tony!" His eyes were wide.
He looked half ashamed and half proud. "Its the baby's family's"
"Tony!"
"What?! I couldn't let them take him!"
"Do you know how much trouble you can get into?!" He tried grabbing the file, but tony hid it behind his back. "You can go to jail!" "Oh please-"
"Tony!" He shouted again and held his hand out for him to hand the file over.
He just stared at his hand and kept it hidden behind his back. "You said you wanted to have a kid-"
"Not like this! Not by stealing one from someone else's family!"
"They left him in an alley! Alone! And in the cold!"
"The girl is being charged! His grandparents and father are still there!"
"Ok, first off, the father is abusive. And second, the grandparents are stuck-up jack-asses."
"You don't know that!"
"It's pretty damn obvious!" He pulled the file out form behind his back and flipped it open.
Steve tried grabbing it but tony smacked his hand away. He went back to flipping through pages until he found what he was looking for. He read over lines until he pointed at one paragraph. "It says here the mother, Amy, and her boyfriend, Tye, started dating 3 years ago." Steve sat down across from him. He pulled out another page and handed it to steve. "Her medical record: broken arm, broken nose, internal bruising, fractured tibia, broken rib, deep gash on her face, and many more. She claimed that it was just from falling, or tripping."
"So, how does this have anything to do-"
"Look a the timeframe." Tony said and steves eyes grew a bit wider. "First one was just under three years ago and the last was two weeks ago." Steve said in surprise. "It could be someone else."
Tony shook his head and pulled out another paper. "Boyfriend was always there, doing all the talking and he even came in with a broken fist, or fractured bone in his hand or wrist a few times. All at the same time."
"Shouldn't the doctors find that suspicious and call the police?"
"You never know, it was in the ER. We live in America. They're probably always too busy to notice anything. Just patches them up and sends them in their way."
Steve nodded and seemed much less angry and worried. "What about her parents? You said they were stuck-up jack-asses."
"Well, they are. Married 5 times, divorced four times. Father served a year for assaulting a cop. Illegal drugs."
"Wait, then why aren't the cops investigating this more? If he's served, the baby shouldn't be in their custody."
"True. Uhh, haven't though of that yet. But you can't say this is okay. He deserves a family who won't abuse or treat him like shit. He deserves good parents."
Steve took a deep breath and scanned the papers again. "I thought you said you'd be a bad father." Steve said, even if he didn't think he would be. "Well, he changed my mind. And like you said, I'm not exactly like my father."