Chapter 31

"You seem to know much about my clients, I wonder how you came to know so much about their past." The others' lawyer started and tony tensed up. "A file, a confidential file, went missing the day the baby was found around the time mr. Stark left. Theory, he stole it." And shrugged. "Objection!" Foggy shouted. "Overruled. Continue."
"You did steal it, didn't you?" Tony didn't answer, he looked at steve who moved in his seat and looked away. He didn't even know what to say. "Mr. stark." The judge said.
He had to tell them. Besides, it didn't change what they did. He cleared his throat. "Y-yes." The entire room burst into conversation until the judge hushed them. "Continue."
The lawyer smiled and approached him again. "Now, let's look at your past. Kicked out by your parents at, what, 17? Since then, bar fights, major drinking problem after your parents were killed in a car crash-"
"Objection! Irrelevance your honour." Matt stood up from his seat.
The judge sighed, "Get on with it." "This is not irrelevant at all. I do not see mr. Stark suitable to adopt."
His chest tightened and he thought of his past. Tonys mind is going to every single detail. He has had a bumpy past and he now sees how bad he must look.
Same thing for steve. His past, his mental state... what will happen.
"Mr. Martin." The others' lawyer. "Would your client like to press charges?"
The family looked around, wolffish grins showing pride in catching Tony wrong handed. The father rose to spoke but his daughter interrupted, "No sir I would not." Silence filled the court house as quiet whispers took over the now crowded room. The judge looked over with an air discreditably of her choice
"Ma'am you do understand that you are able to sue for this, and prison time can be arranged" the prosecutor claimed, his pristine suit and calm face held a question everyone was asking. "If anyone should get sued, it should be the father."
"What!" The father shouted and banged his fist on the table. "Objection!" This lawyer shouted.
Shouts filled the court, outrage thick in the air. "Order! Order!" The judge shouted over the crowd, banging her gravel down on the table. "Why do you say that Mr. Stark?"
"Look at his arm, the tattoos are gang related and he's shaking constantly. He sweats when nothing is wrong and taps his foot, a nervous habit. To make matters worse, his knuckles are split and bruised." Tony observed, cracking a grin as the courthouse eyed the man.
"Ha! Who are you? Sherlock Holmes?" The man asked, anger seething through his sharp, forced laugh. "Sure." Tony winked.
"So what are you saying?" The judge asked. "He's a drug addict."
"Am not!" He shouted again.
The whole courtroom went up in an uproar and the judge brought her gravel down on the table and called a recess. Both sides had to get more organized.
So now they walked around toys r us wearing their engagement rings and holding hands, picking out the most suitable and best items they could. Thy avoided getting clothes because Natasha already said very clearly the day after the trial and the engagement, "I'm buying clothes!" And jumped.
They bought the crib, some toys, any bottles, a light blue paint to paint what used to be a small study that they expanded after breaking down the wall to the closet, big enough to be a room.
Blankets, teddy bears, night lights, soothers... they got it all.
It was the day that he was supposed to be brought there. The crib, the room, everything was ready. Hell, they both sat in that room the whole day before.
Oh, and like Natasha had said, she bought a lot of baby clothes. Onesies, little sweat pants, socks, slippers, hats, sweaters, shirts, underwear... she got everything, even little tony sneakers.
That was all in the smaller dresser in the corner of the room.
They'd spent the day baby-proofing the entire apartment. Going through every single inch, not missing a thing. "Shouldn't they be here by now?" Steve asked.
Tony looked at the clock. It was 2:37pm, they said 2:30pm. "They should. They're 7 minutes late." 7 minutes wouldn't usually be seen as very long, but in these intense and nerve-wracking moments, 7 minutes could feel like 7 days, or weeks, or months, or years even.
Steve paved the living room again, checking all of the wall plays and wires to make sure they were covered and out of reach. "And you're positive everything's babyproofed?"
"Steve, we went through the entire building 12 times. I'm pretty sure it's fine." He sighed. "It wouldn't hurt to check again." He shrugged as he leaned over the couch to check what was behind it. "Steve-" but he stopped when someone knocked at the door.
Steve shot up from his position and stared at the door, then to tony. "Was that the door?"
"Well, I think it was a person knocking on the other side of the door." They looked at each other then jumped for the door, before opening it, taking a deep breath.
When it opened, a woman with a stroller, duffel bag, and well, of course, a baby, stood in front of them.
She handed tony a bag as steve pulled him out of the stroller and began playing with him, tickling him and "booping" his nose.
She talked to them a bit before saying goodbye and leaving.
This was a family.
They were so happy, I mean, peter did cry a lot, but they were so so so happy.
Of course, they got married. A wonderful day for everyone. They had both been freaking out a lot beforehand, but got through it with the help of their friends.
They thought of when they first met, their first date, all the way up till now. Their journey to where they are was quite rough, but without those bumps along the way, they probably wouldn't know each other as well as they do now.
Peters 1st birthday passed and next was tonys a few months later. The day he got the papers officiating himself as one of peters legal guardians. He cried and hugged steve while peter just smiled as he swashed chocolate icing all over his face.
Peters first day of school...
It was actually a disaster. Peter didn't want to go to school, so he hid under the table and hugged the leg. "C'mon peter, we have to get you to school." "I don't want to go." He pouted.
Steve sighed and looked over at tony, hoping he'd know what to say. "Why not?"
"Because... because..."
"Peter..."
"I just don't want to go!" He clung to the table even tighter. "I stay here."
"Peter, you can't stay here. You have to go to school to get super smart and have fun!" Tony said. He still didn't seem to want to leave. "You can have an extra cookie in your lunch." He bribed, but didn't work.
They tried different ones until steve gave up and just pried his arms and legs away from the table and picked him up and his backpack. "Come on, we're going."
"Noooooo! Papa I don't wan to!" Then the tears came but they both just continue walking down the hallway, to the staircase and outside to the car.
Next steve had to almost tear his hands off the seatbelt and get him to the school.
He tried setting him down on the ground for him to walk himself, but he clung to his chest and around his shoulders.
Man that kid had a good grip. "Come on Peter." He looked at the doors, a younger looking teacher walked out with a smile. "Look, I think that's your teacher." "Nooooo!"
Tony walked up to the woman and spoke to her a bit before they all walked inside. Tony put his bag on his hanger and watched as steve once again tried to get Peter off of him. No use. His little arms really found a way to make it all the way around his back and shoulder.
Tony sighed. "Hey Peter. Look at all of the kids here. Wanna go say hi?"
He shook his head and pouted again. "No."
Steve sighed. "Come on Peter." This time he somehow got him to let go of his torso, but the second his feet touched the ground, he clung to his leg, which only made things harder to get him off. "Peter, look at all of the new toys they have here. And you're going to make so many new friends... look at all the dinosaurs." Peter shook his head and aced the other way.