Chapter 3

Swinging from bar to bar, Namara felt more free than she had in weeks. A sudden sound caught her ears, after what HYDRA had done to  her, she could hear every little sound. Namara could hear voices. The momentary lapse in concentration was all the time it took for Namara to slip, and then she was falling through the air, the wind whistling by her ears.

 She focused on falling feet first, and landed on her feet- as always. The shock of the fall ran up her legs, making them tingle. Once she had regained her balance, she walked quickly out of the room. She' d heard voices, and she wanted to know who they belonged to. So Namara followed her ears, she could hear the individual heartbeats of the people in the room above her.

  "Hey there," a voice behind Namara said. Namara had been so focused on finding the source of the other voices that she hadn't heard the heartbeat right behind her.

 She spun around to see a woman with red hair and a stern gaze looking at her. The woman raised an eyebrow, "Call me Natasha. We haven't officially met."

 Namara didn't speak, she just gazed at the woman, taking in her stance. Namara could tell a lot about someone, just by looking at them. This woman, Natasha, who Namara knew as Black Widow; she was obviously a fighter. Her hands were loose, but Namara could see the muscles clenched slightly. Natasha didn't want to attack her, unless of course Namara tried to run, in which case, Namara guessed it wouldn't take Natasha long to take her down.

 Natasha's eyes narrowed, "You know, you're going to be here for a while. You may as well try and get along with everyone."

 Namara still didn't speak, she was trying to judge whether or not it was worth breaking her silence to try and get along with this clearly dangerous woman. It had been weeks since Namara spoke, she hadn't said a word the entire time that she'd been in SHIELD's custody. 

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Natasha could practically see the wheels turning in Namara's head; though the girls expression didn't betray anything, her eyes did. Namara's eyes were sunken in, dark shadows running under them. Nat had seen how Namara's eyes had been flitting around the room when she'd entered the tower, searching for exits. Now they were studying Natasha with an animal like gaze, almost how a predator would gaze at it's prey. 

 Not many things could make Natasha feel uncomfortable, but the eyes of Namara did. Namara's eyes for beginning to look slightly unfocused, like she wasn't paying attention. 

 "Hey! Kid, I'm talking to you." Natasha said roughly, snapping her fingers. "It's a common courtesy to talk back when someone's trying to talk to you."

  "What do you want me to say?"  When Namara spoke, it sounded to Natasha like it had been weeks since she'd last spoken. Her voice was rough, and raw, like she'd been screaming. Yet there was still a hint of snark in her tone, like she was someone who spoke fluent sarcasm. 

 "So you can talk. How are you liking Avengers tower?"

 "It's a nice prison," Namara's mouth tilted slightly up at one corner. 

 "Sarcasm, it's a way to deflect. Same with humor. I'm guessing you use a lot of those."

"Don't psycho- analyze me," Namara snapped, her eyes glinting dangerously. "Your team is scared of me. Stark. Rogers. Banner- they're all wary of me. But you're not, why?"

 Natasha raised an eyebrow, this girl was better than she thought. She'd read the rest of the team as easily as Natasha could. "I'm not afraid of you, because your just a kid. Sure, you could probably take down a few guys if you managed to master your powers completely- but for now your just a kid."

   Namara smiled slightly, "Nice to see someone isn't walking around me like I'm going to explode."

  "Why don't you come and train with me? Vent a little."

  Namara nodded.