Chapter 7

Trees and mountains whirled past the truck window in a blur of colors as they drove on the winding road through the mountains. Soft country music came through the trucks old speakers, Namara smiled slightly, she'd never have pegged Steve Rogers for a lover of country music.

  She cleared her throat slightly, and broke the now five hour long silence, "Are you sure your  not driving me all the way out here to kill me and hide the body?"

  Steve's grip on the steering wheel tightened, "I'm sure."

 "Well, you've been really quiet. And I'm kind of freaked out by the silence."

 "Sorry."

 "Where are we going? And if it's this big secret, what about the SHIELD tracker in my shoulder blade?"

  "I deactivated it, it won't come back online until it's rebooted, which won't be for about two weeks. Natasha's made up an excuse as to where we've gone."

 Namara could practically feel the waves of tension and stress radiating off of Steve. If she'd been in a car with anyone from her circus she'd be worried about having the crap beaten out of her, but Steve didn't seem like that kind of guy.

  "Dude, I feel like I'm being escorted to my death. Lighten up."

  Steve took a deep breath, "I'm not mad, just worried. The friend I'm taking you too has been really ill recently, and in taking you to her, I'm worried I'll expose her to SHIELD." 

 "I won't tell anyone."

 "I know Namara, I know."

 "What's your friend like?"

 "Her names Willow. She's smart, loyal, and witty; used to be a SHIELD agent, one of the best."

 "Used to be? What happened?"

 "There was an accident and Willow ended up paralyzed from the waist down."

 "Oh." Namara didn't have anything to add. She'd had a friend in the Circus- it was nice to know that the Circus had been a real memory- her friend had been a trapeze artist. Her name was Alice, she'd been part of a 3 person trapeze act with Jess and Namara. The circus had used a safety net during practice, which hadn't actually save many people. They'd ended up mangled in the net, with broken arms or legs, but at least they'd lived. It had been during a show, so there was no net. Alice had jumped from a bar and hadn't been able to get a strong enough grip on the second bar, she'd slipped and fallen. She'd fallen twenty or so feet to the ground, and landed wrong. Alice's back had been broken. She'd lived but she never walked again, and had been thrown out of the circus. It was a horrible thing to happen to someone. 

 "How far away are we now?"

"We'll be there soon."