Chapter 6

Steve knew Namara had overheard his conversation with Willow and that was the last thing he wanted to happen. He didn't want her to panic or freak out, though he doubted she should. He just hoped the Willow could help Namara.

Steve walked to the door of her room and knocked lightly, "Namara. Can I come in?"

"No." Namara's voice was rough, like she'd been crying.

"Alright. Will you please just listen to me then?"

There was no response, so Steve went on, "I know it's a bit overwhelming, hearing something like that. But it's nothing the Avengers can't help you with."

"Oh yes, because telling me all my memories are fake and I'm actually a senior citizen is something that can be fixed with a nice cup of cocoa and a warm hug," Namara said bitterly.

Steve almost laughed, it would appear that Namara had retained her sarcasm even in light of this surprise. "Well, it would be a start. Listen, can I please come in, I'd rather not have to talk through the door."

"Fine."

Namara was sitting on the bed, staring at the opposite wall her back to Steve. Steve sat down next to her, leaving about two feet of space between them.

"I have a friend that's had some trouble with HYDRA messing with his head, and another friend who helped him. I'll take you to her, okay?"

"Steve, how much of it is fake? I know I was at that Circus. I remember my best friend, her smile, the way she laughed. That was real. Wasn't it?"

"She was real Namara. Miss Jess Rayes, that was your friends name, right? She submitted a missing persons report, she looked for you. The Circus was real. All of those old memories are real, but the ones from this time aren't. I can't explain it, but my friend can."

"Why should I trust you?"

"Because I want to help. Grab your backpack and put on a jacket. I'm taking you to my friend, okay?"

"Okay."

"Please don't say anything to anyone about where were going?"

"Why?" Namara asked sharply.

"I'll explain why later."