Chapter 38

Namara sat with her back against the wall, her knees drawn up to her chest, staring at the opposite wall with those eyes she hated so much. Those eyes that Jay thought were wonderful and amazing, said they were like ocean and forest. Those eyes that would never get to watch Jay laugh, smile, or play again. Never see those big sky blue eyes, wide with wonder, his sunshine blonde hair falling in curls down over his face. Because Jay was dead, gone. Namara had failed him. She'd been his big sister, his protector, and she hadn't been able to keep him safe.

 After she'd come back to her senses, Steve and Natasha had escorted her to a SHIELD holding facility. She'd sat in this cell for the past two days, smoldering with equal parts rage and sorrow.

 So many emotions burned through Namara that it made it almost impossible to sit still, but also impossible to move. She'd been curled up against the wall, not moving. Going between sobbing uncontrollably and digging her nails into her own arms until she felt hot blood flowing down them. 

  Steve thought that after Namara's mind had healed, that the animalistic rage was gone. But he was wrong, it was still there, just as it had always been, just beneath the surface. Waiting for an opportunity to be unleashed. And it would have it's opportunity. Because as soon as Namara was out of this cell, she was going to hunt down the man that had killed Jay, and she was going to rip him apart.

  Her nails sharpened into points at the end, and she dug them into her palm, watching in satisfaction as blood dripped from her closed fist to the floor. 

 Drip. Drip. Drip.