Chapter 16

Namara flipped out two batons, each about a foot in length. Namara didn't use guns, and she didn't want to have to kill anyone unless it was absolutely necessary. As soon as she saw the first soldier she slammed the baton into the side of his head, she caught him before his body could fall and make noise. She lowered him to the ground, waiting for the rush of guards she knew was coming.

  As soon as they rounded the corner, Namara ducked from the onslaught of bullets. Several bullets tore through the wall, inches from Namara's head. Not that it mattered, they couldn't hurt her anyway. 

  When the guards paused to reload, Namara darted around the corner, slamming her batons into pressure points on the men. Grabbing one soldier and using his weight to knock down two more. A blur of weapons and flying bodies.

  A minute later, Namara was standing in a dark hall, surrounded by unconscious bodies. She heard a tiny click that would be imperceptible to anyone's ears but Namara's. She stepped back sharply, jerking her head back, a bullet clipped a lock of hair from Namara's long bangs. The second pulled slammed right into her collarbone. 

 Searing pain slammed into Namara in waves, and she clamped a shaky hand over her neck. Blood bubbling out from the injury, Namara gave a sharp cry of pain as she pulled the bullet out. Within seconds her neck was healed and there was nothing to show for her injury but blood. 

  She stayed on the ground where she was, leaning against the wall. She heard another click and rolled to one side, a bullet slamming into the wall next to her. Lashing out with one leg, Namara kicked the guard who'd fired in the face. 

  Closing her eyes, Namara listened intently. Listening for heartbeats, and for the sound of weapons clicking. She heard nothing. 

  Reaching down to her hip and un-clipping her radio, Namara held her finger down onto what she hoped was the right button, "This is Namara. The building is empty. Fifteen agents total, all unconscious. Over"

  "We copy. We will take over removing the assets. Over."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Twenty minutes later, Namara was sitting on a SHIELD transport, bristling with rage. She hadn't been allowed to see what was in the basement of the building she'd cleared. So she'd sat in the plane, listening intently to what was going on. Namara heard one more heartbeat leaving the building than she had when she entered. 

  Director Fury had told her that the SHIELD facility was full of weapons, as well as dangerous equipment. But she knew that another living creature had been taken into SHIELD custody. 

   A black box had been loaded onto the plane along with the boxes full of weapons and equipment. It was about 4 ft by 4 ft, and it was hooked up to an oxygen supply. There was something in the box, and it was alive. 

 Namara stood up, making her way into the cargo hold, glaring at every agent she walked past, daring them to try and stop her. Namara's eyes made most people uncomfortable, and SHIELD agents were no exception. She could stare at them with her eyes, one icy blue and one hazel green, and they couldn't focus on both eyes at once. 

  She walked down into the cargo bay, feeling slightly sick at the swaying of the plane. The box was strapped in with heavy metal clasps, the machine pumping something into it through several tubes connected to the box. Namara inhaled deeply, trying to figure out what was being pumped into the box. It was oxygen and some sort of sedative. 

  Kneeling down next to the box, Namara knocked lightly. "Hello? Is someone there?"

 There was a quiet sniffle, and then a cough, "Hello?"

   Namara was right! There was someone in the box. "I'm Namara. Who are you?"

"I... I can't see anything. Where am I? Please let me out," The voice was quiet, scared. It was too high to be a man, or even a woman. It was a kid, probably a boy. Judging by the size of the box, not more than ten.

  "I can't let you out now. But  your safe now, your with SHIELD." Though SHIELD wasn't necessarily a good place to be for an enhanced individual. But it was a step up from HYDRA. Namara hated the thought of a kid being in the box, all alone. The sedative that was mixed in the oxygen was probably keeping the boy from freaking out. Namara was claustrophobic, and SHIELD had transported her in a box just a little bigger than the one the kid was in. It was a horrible experience, and Namara still had nightmares about it.