Chapter 24

Namara had no idea how Jay had managed to eat as much as he had, though it had probably been months since he had a decent meal. Jay had managed to eat more than Steve at breakfast, and Steve ate more than anyone Namara had ever known.

Namara herself could go days without eating and be fine, she'd gotten used to be hungry at the Circus, and after HYDRA she'd been able to go for insane amounts of time without eating. Since she'd eaten yesterday, she didn't really need to eat breakfast.

"Jesus Jay, how longs it been since you ate? You've eaten twice what Captain America can put away" Namara asked, leaning back in her chair.

"I'm sorry," Jay said, his fork pausing halfway to his mouth.

Namara laughed, "Don't worry about it kid, I'm just messing with you."

Jay smiled, continuing to shovel eggs into his mouth. He paused between bites, "Aren't you hungry?"

"Nah, not really."

When Jay was finally full, Namara decided to take him down to the training room. He skipped cheerfully behind her on the entire walk to the training room. Whenever they passed an Avenger or SHIELD agent, Jay darted behind Namara, hiding until they'd passed.

Namara typed in the keycode for the training room and the door slid open. Steve and Clint were already in the training room.

Jay and Namara spent the next twenty minutes playing tag around the training room. Jay was tireless, he ran and laughed with the energy of someone who'd been in a box his entire life and was excited to stretch his legs.

There was a loud bang as the door opened and Tony Stark strolled in. Jay froze, his blue eyes wide, and darted behind Namara.

"Greetings team, I absolutely hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is an angry SHIELD pyscho- woman wanting to evaluate everyone. Because Namara dragged another HYDRA experiment into the base," Stark sneered.

Jay had a death grip on Namara's wrist, and she could actually feel the bone in her arm splintering under the immense force the terrified boy was putting out.