Chapter 21

As soon as he was in the small twin bed in his room, it took the boy less than five minutes to fall sound asleep. Before he went to sleep, he had clutched at Namara's hand, making her stay next to him until he fell asleep.

  Quickly Namara slipped her hand from the boys grasp, and walked out of the room, not making a sound. There was a small room less than a foot away from the door to the boy's room, Namara pulled open the door and walked inside. 

  "Is our little Buddy asleep?" Tony asked.

"Yes, but you know that," Namara snapped. "Because you installed security camera's in the kids room. And now your watching him sleep, congratulations Stark your officially really creepy."

 "It's a security measure Ackermann," Stark retorted.

 There was a quiet knock as Bruce entered the room, "Namara, I have the kid's X-Rays. Thought you might want to take a look."

  Namara held out her hand for the folder, "Thanks Bruce."

  She flipped open the folder, scanning over the X-rays. They were fairly standard, his bone structure was normal for a human. Except for one spot on his right forearm, the bone had hundreds of hairline cracks, they looked like they had healed over but were still broken. There were hundreds of tiny little holes in the bone. 

 "Bruce, what is this on his arm?"

 "I have no idea," Bruce paused. "But Namara I'd like to compare his X-Rays to yours."

"Why?"

"See if there are any similarities, the only problem is SHIELD has your X-Rays, so I'll have to take some new ones."

 "Alright, anything else?"

"Yeah, I'm waiting for the Kid's bloodwork to process. I'd like to get a sample of your blood to compare it to as well."

"Okay." Namara hated needles, and would rather be strapped to the front of a runaway train than get blood drawn. But if she'd asked that kid who'd just gotten out a box to let Bruce take Blood from him, then she'd have to get blood drawn too. At least it was her friend and not a HYDRA scientist.

  Bruce and Tony walked out of the room, leaving Namara to watch over the sleeping boy. She sat down on the edge of a chair, sighing and putting her head in her hands. Namara was so confused, she didn't know what to do. Never before in her entire life had someone so blindly trusted Namara, or seemed to depend on her. In the Circus she and Jess had watched out for each other, trusted each other, but that had been after years of knowing each other. For that boy to be so blindingly trusting to someone he'd just met, just because she'd gotten him out of that cage. Namara felt tears sting her eyes, and she let out a sob of frustration. She was going to let that kid down, like she let everyone down. Namara didn't get attached to people, in the Circus  they died of sickness or an accident, at SHIELD they went missing on missions or died in action. Being attached to people led to weakness. Namara had begun to get attached to the Avengers, it made her weak, it's why she left the facility. 

     But seeing how trusting that kid had been, Namara promised herself that she'd look after him. She couldn't believe that someone so young had been through so much. She'd keep this kid safe, even if it cost Namara her life.