Chapter 31

"NO!" Namara screamed, jerking away from the agents holding her, yanking free.

  Like he was in slow motion, Jay slowly collapsed to the ground, his hands pressed against his chest, his eyes wide with shock.

 "Jay! Oh god," Namara whispered, kneeling beside the boy. 

 Blood was already pooling in the grass around him. So much blood. Namara had seen a lot of people shot in her lifetime, and she knew that when there was this much blood, there was no going back. 

 Desperately, Namara pressed her hands against the gaping hole in Jay's chest. Blood bubbled around Jay's mouth as he coughed, trying to speak. 

 "Namara. Big Sister. I'm sorry..." Jay coughed again. "Thank you for giving me a family. I love you."

  "No Jay. It's okay, look at me."

  Jay smiled up at her, then his head fell back against the grass. His big blue eyes staring up at nothing.

 Namara heard herself screaming, a raw animal like scream. It tore from her throat as masked agents grabbed her and dragged her away from Jay's body. Namara bit and scratched and kicked as well as she could with her restraints on. 

 She kept screaming, screaming out to the sky. Screaming because her little brother was dead.