Chapter 3

Val's POV

We were all sitting in the living room watching some random show that I wasn't really paying attention to. I was cuddled into Calum's chest. It felt different this time. It felt... abnormal.

"I'm gonna go outside okay. Don't wait up." I say to Calum kissing his lips and getting off the couch.

"Okay. Just yell if you need me okay?" He asks me. I nod and smile at him. I walk towards the door that leads to the backyard. Once I get outside, I walk over to the tree. It was weird. Before when I looked at this tree I only saw bark, leaves and maybe a few bugs, but now, now I can see everything. Every line on every leaf, every notch in the bark. Every bug no matter how small it was. Okay, that's pretty gross. I look up and see this one branch that's I've always wanted to climb up to but never could because, well, I was human and would probably die if I ever tried. I look down at my feet.

"I can jump." I say to myself.  Bend my knees and push off the ground as hard as I can. I shoot up like a rocket towards the branch. One I get close to it I reach my hands out and grab onto it and swing myself up. I stand on the brand and look out at sunny Sydney. There was a gap in the tree where I stood. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, soaking in the sun. I could literally feel the rays on my skin.

I open my eyes and look around me. I look down to see Michael and his blonde hair looking up at me.

"Hey Mikey." I say smiling at him.

"Hey. Can I come up?" He asked me.

"Sure, come on up." I say movie a little bit to give Michael some space to stand on the thick branch. He jumps up with ease and grabs the branch above us.

"So. How are you liking your new life?" Michael asked me hanging from the branch above us.

"It's, different. A lot different. Everything is so clear. So, loud. How do you drown everything out? Because right now I can hear myself, you, the air, the heat rays from the sun, the people in the house. Oh, speaking of which Ashton is making tea." I say causing Michael to laugh.

"Here let me teach you." Michael says stepping onto the branch and walking over to me. He places his hands on my shoulders.

"Close your eyes." He says.

"Michael this is-"

"Close your eyes." He said more forceful. I close my eyes.

"Now, focus on my voice and my voice only."

"Michael. It's a lot harder than it looks." I say to him getting frustrated.

"Try. You're not trying. God what would you do without us." Michael says. I take a deep breath and try not to push him out of the tree out of anger. I try again.

"Now, try and focus on my voice. Only what I'm saying." Slowly, all the bugs, rays, the string of Ashton's spoon disappeared. All I heard was Michael. His breathing, his voice. Just him. Him and me. Nothing else. I open my eyes to see Michael looking at me. Not like you typical look. Like a look of like, and I mean like like. I know Michael loves me, but now, I'm kind of confused.

"You did good." Michael said to me.

"Thanks. It's all because of you." I say to him. He smiles ever so cutely and looks down and back up into my eyes. I look him straight in the eyes. I can feel my eyes change colour. Michael looks at me in shock.

"What? What's wrong?" I ask him.

"Your eyes. They aren't white. They're a soft pink." Michael said.

"What?" I said taking my phone out and going to te camera. When o get the camera facing me, I'm shocked. He was right. My eyes were a soft, baby, pastel pink, but soon after they went back to white.