Chapter 9: Romania's Flashback

Romania - 15 years old

"Mother? I've returned from my shift at the diner! I brought you and Papa milkshakes!" I called as I took my shoes off by the door Mother said it was proper to do so.

"I'm in the kitchen dear!" she called back.

Padding over to the kitchen I put the milkshakes in the icebox, gave my mother a kiss on the cheek and smoothing down my skirt i sat down in one of our cherry red barstools, facing my mother.

"How was your day Romania?"

"It was amazing! I got to wait tables today, and I saw the most handsome boy, Mother."

She raised her eyebrows at this, a small smile playing on her cherry red lips as she looked up from cutting the onions for supper. "Did you now? That handsome?"

"Yes Mother. He had the most gorgeous blue eyes and his hair was so blonde! And he smiled at me the most dazzling smile. He asked my schedule, to see if he could get to know me more. Isn't that just sweeter than Joe's enitre little old candy shop?"

"Rome, dear you're going to swoon on the floor! What am I to tell your father?" She laughs, her smile lighting up her entire face. I thought my mother was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Prettier than the ones in the films or any advert. Hers was a quiet beauty. Papa always enjoys telling the stories of how he wo her heart. Her heart was one of gold he'd say, one that could never be replaced with any sum of money. I don't know what we'd do without her.

Romes 16th birthday.

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday dear Romania, Happy Birthday to you!"

I smiled and blew out my candles making my wish. 'I wish for Luke and I to be together forever, and for a fairytale ending like my parents.'

"Happy Birthday,dear." Papa said as he handed me a knife to cut the cake.

"Thank you Papa!"

Luke stood behind me one hand on top on my cutting hand as the other gently settled on my waist. I involutarily shivered and felt him chuckle soflty.

"Rome! Cut fatser! I want cake!" Luke whined impaitently.

I laughed, " Your hunger can never be satisfied can it?"

"Not when I'm with you. I always want more. It's never enough time." He whispered huskily in my ear. His grip on my waist tightened, andI inhaled sharply.

"PG kids!" My mother laughed lightly.

I smiled and cut the first slice of cake, picking it up with my hand I took a small bite then turned around to smash the rest all over Luke's face. He wiped his eyes off and set his jaw.

"Oh no." My father said, "War declarations have been made."

"'Oh no' is right sir," Luke breathed in speking dangerously low. "You have approximately 5 seconds to run as far and fast as those little legs can take you Romania." he cleared his throat, wiping his face free of frosting and grabbing a chunk of cake. "Starting now."

I bolted out of the house's from door, hiking up my skirts and giggling furiously as I ran down the street. He chased me all the way to the park, that was always empty after six pm. I climbed the big oak tree that Luke and I always sit in with ease the knobs and bark like the back of my hand. I climbed to the very top of the tree with Luke on my tail. I sat down on the branch in defeat waiting to be caught. I gazed out at the setting sun its rays turning the horizon soft hues of pink orange and gold settling to a blazing red. The leaves to show my boyfriends cake free face, a smile lighting up his face.