It Takes Two to Win a Cruise

The next morning, I woke up sore as all hell. I hadn't forgotten what happened last night, so I was pretty sure I was okay. I got dressed and went to practice for the Salt Lake City Talent Show.

I was in the middle of practicing the second song, and I had almost perfected it, when my dance instructor, Lucy, stopped me and said coldly, "Look, Allison, I know you put your heart and soul into dancing and I think it's beautiful, but the judges might not. If you don't find a dance partner and spruce things up, you will not win."

My heart broke. How was I supposed to incorporate a partner into a dance I was already solidifying? I tried to ask her for suggestions but she had none. Stress consumed me again, and I asked other people frantically if they could be my partner, but they all said no. I called some people I'd met in Scotland, I called everyone I knew in the states, and no one would do it. I even considered asking Dean, but Dean was in jail, so that wouldn't be happening.

I was still in the studio long after everyone else had left, trying to relearn my songs. I finally sat down, tired, and opened my laptop, making and printing a flyer for a dance partner. I packed my things and exited the building, posting the flyer on the door as I left.

Before I had even taken four steps, I heard the paper's removal, followed by that warm voice that I knew all too well. "Why would you need a partner? I thought your routine was flawless." said the guy that seemed to follow me step by step everywhere I went.

I sighed, and instead of arguing with him, I explained, with my irate attitude clear and present, "My instructor said if I don't have a partner then I'm just as good as someone in a wheelchair." The guy shook his head, and I huffed, "Put my flyer back up there." I was getting really mad, and then when he ripped my flyer into shreds and threw it in the trash can, I was fuming. 

"Oh, God, give me the strength, to not beat this man down..." I huffed, crouching on the ground to pray. I was livid and about to knock him out, and if I stood up now, I was probably going to kill him.

I waited until I was calmer, and when I was, I stood back up. I kept breathing deeply, covering my mouth with my hands. He smiled at me and crowed proudly, "Well, you have Orion Waters at your service, mademoiselle." I was not entertained.

I shook my head and scoffed before turning around and walking away. I was stopped abruptly by a hand grabbing my arm softly, and when I was turned to look into solid crystals that were Orion's eyes, my heart quaked, and the reality of my inferior height kicked in.

"Please, Allie. I can help you win. Me as a partner is better than no partner at all." he begged, and I laughed at how wrong he was. But after what felt like hours of begging and pleading, I finally said yes. "This is great! Now I guess you really will have to get to know me." he smirked, and I gave him a deadly glare before walking home, away from Orion.

I closed my door behind me, feeling relieved of an immense amount of tension. That name seemed to fit him well. Orion sounds so cool, so cold, and his icy blue eyes seem like a perfect holder of the name. I then grew suspicious. I got up and walked to my laptop, which was now sitting on my desk, and opened up a sticky note. I made sure my house was empty before quickly typing out, "Orion, meet me at Hollen Park by the studio at 12:30 p.m. tomorrow. I want to see you sitting in the branches of the center tree. Got it?"

I left it there for three seconds before quickly shutting down my computer, reassuring myself that no one but me was in the house. Laying down in my bed, I was really hoping that Orion was just a regular person.