Doing Everything But Sleeping

He looked at the bed, and I could swear I saw the fight between his mind and his heart play out before me. He sighed, and that forlorn look returned to his eyes. "No, I'm sorry. I'll be downstairs, more than likely on the couch." he said apologetically. I wanted to ask him more, but all I could say was, "But wouldn't you at least want to sleep in a bed? I have the guest room?"

He smiled, and even chuckled a little, shaking his head. "Allie, I slept in a tiny, blue pitcher for a hundred years. I think the couch will do just nicely." he crowed, and I giggled. I actually believed him this time. He left after saying good night, and I laid my head back down.

I tried to go to sleep, but I just couldn't. My mind was spinning from where I was and what happened that night. Orion, this guy that followed me home all the way from Scotland, put up with my bull for a few days, then agreed to be my dance partner, then built me this amazing house? I did not deserve this by any means.

I decided to put that thought to rest as I got up and changed clothes. My suitcases were sitting under the window, and I finally decided to unpack. I put all my things away and put my suitcases under my bed. Going in my closet to put everything away, I noticed, then, that Orion had filled my closets, too, with clothing that fit my aesthetic perfectly.

After an hour of playing around in my dream room, I put on pajamas and laid in my bed, attempting to go to sleep. The last thing I thought about were Orion's words: "I slept in a tiny, blue pitcher for a hundred years." Then, my eyes shot open.