Chapter 6 || "That's a long trip up..."

( Eliza's POV )

It was 1:49am. Me and Soda were up late watching Clark Gable movies. He was asleep next to me. He looked so cute and peaceful. Darry was in the dining room reading the paper and Ponyboy was already in bed. Lucky.
It was all quiet until the door slammed against the wall and Dally stormed inside.

"Dally?" Johnny asked. "Are you okay?''

Dally had his fists jammed in his pockets and was stomping over to the recliner. He sat down and lit a weed. After a couple puffs he pulled the weed out with force and looked at the ceiling.

"Katelyn and I got in a fight. Sometimes she can be such a little bitch." Dally ranted.

Soda woke up from the noise. He sat up and wrapped an arm around me.

"Katelyn? She isn't a bitch."

Dally laughed mockingly. "Oh, but she is."

Darry walked in with a glass of chocolate milk and handed it to Soda. He then sat on the other sofa and looked at Dally.

"I think you need to cool off, bud. Last thing we want is you ending up in the slammer again."

Soda handed me the glass of chocolate milk. I had a mothful and sat down the glass on the coffee table.

"You're probably right Darrel, but I just feel different about this argument. I regret it."

Ponyboy and Johnny looked at Dally.

"Do ya like her, Dally?" Ponyboy asked. Dally threw the burnt out cigarette butt at Pony.

"Yeah! But no. I don't know!" I heard thudding coming from outside. Sodapop got up and looked out the window.

"Looks like Two-Bit's hammered again." He laughed.

"Don't worry about that brunette broad, Dal." Johnny whispered. "She likes you and she will come back to you. Just give her time to cool off."

Dally raised an eyebrow.

"Imma go see her now. She left the party at Buck's, so she must be at home by now. I'll just sneak in through her window." Dally got up and reached the door.

"Dallas!" Two-Bit yelled reaching the door as well. "Whatever you do, don't impregnant that chick... this time around!"

Dally punched Two-Bit and pushed him outta his way.

"Somebody sedate that moron!" Dally yelled as he jogged down the steps. He disappeared into the darkness.

"Put on Mickey..." Two-Bit hiccuped.

Soda looked back to Two-Bit with a smile. "Two, Mickey is daytime t.v."

"For fucks sakes." Two-Bit replied lowly.

Soda leaned over to me and started to talk. "Follow me Elizabeth." I nodded and he led me outside. He motioned to the porch swing and we sat down.

"Sorry about that. Like, everything tonight. The household is constantly fucked up." He laughed.

"That's not the only thing that is getting fucked up tonight." I laughed, mouthing the words Dally and Katelyn.

Soda started to laugh. He placed his head on my lap and layed down. This night was going perfect. The perfect boy, the perfect place, the perfect life. My eyes suddenly widened in horror.

"S-Soda!" I panicked.

He straightened up quickly. "What?"

"I haven't been home in two days! My dad is gonna kill me!"

Soda's eyes widened too.

"Well... I guess I should leave..." I looked at the street and then at Soda. "Walk me home?" I asked quietly.

Soda nodded his head and we walked down the steps hand in hand. We walked quicker than usual because i felt scared of what would happen if i was any later. We reached my house four blocks later and stopped at the gate.

"I am not entering through the front door. I know dad is probably unconcious but i don't want to risk it.

Soda looked at the ground for a second and then his head shot up.

"Where is your window?" He asked. I took his hand and we walked to the hedge over by the side of the house.

"That is my room, on the second story." I remarked.

"Holy shit..." Soda whistled. "That's a long trip up..." I widened my eyes again. "Trip...Up?"

Soda nodded. "Here, i'll give ya a boost!" He stepped onto the small porch and cupped his hands. "Place your foot here." He laughed. I laughed with him, but did as he said. It took a couple tries, but i was able to reach the ledge of my balcony and climb up. As soon as i got over the rail i checked to make sure nobody was in there, and then i turned around. Soda was looking up at me, smiling.

"Thank you Sodapop" I grinned down at him.

"Any time, my queen." He sighed.

"If you ever feel the need to jam, my balcony is welcome to you." I told him in sincere honesty. Soda was grinning ear to ear.

"Thanks Elizabeth. I might just take you up on that offer." He winked at me and just like that, he disappeared down the street.

I opened the window that led into my room and turned on the light. Everything was in place and fine. I sat on my bed and started to take off my boots when i noticed black crumble on my night stand. I looked at it, and then looked at the shattered glass on the floor. The frame i had with my only photo of mom was destroyed. I looked at the black pile again and saw a piece of her face in the crumble.

Someone... someone burnt my mother's photo. I couldn't hold in my tears. I picked it up and held it in my hand. I collected the glass and sat it down. Tears hit each small panel of shattered glass.